Dave, Jeep Master Tech
Experience:  Chrysler Triple Master, ASE master Tech AA degree in Auto.

factory alarm wont stop when jeep cherokee sport is turned

factory alarm won't stop when jeep cherokee sport is turned off. car starts and runs and alarm isn't sounding. how do i disconnect the factory alarm. 2001 jeep cherokee sport
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.

Hi, let me make sure of a couple details here.

Is the alrm sounding when you go to start the jeep? Then once it is started it stops sounding? Then when you shut it back off and remove the key it starts to sound again?

If that is the case what are you doing now to stop the alarm from sounding?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, the alarm was not going off before I started the car. I drove it to work and when I shut it off it sounded. I tried the unlock button, panic button and the lock button but it would not stop until I put the key back in the ignition turned it to where the radio comes on and it stopped.
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.

Ok, what happened after that, is still happening or did it only do it that one time and its been normal since? Also did it do it right after you shut it off or was it after removing the key and exiting the jeep and closing the door?

I need this infor to figure out just where the failure occured, the best way to disarm it is to bring it to a dealer and have them go into the vehicle theft alarm module and disable it.

I am looking at the schematic now to see what else I can tell you about disarming it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is still happening, I had to take the horn fuse out in order to make it stop. The battery cable was also taken off in an effort to reset the alarm and that failed as well. It sounded as soon as I tuned the car completely off the key was still in the ignition. It doesn't matter whether the door is open or closed as long as the key is in the ignition and the car is off it will continue to sound.
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.

OK, that it sounds like there is a problem with the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM). It is the unit that is suppose to detect the key and determine if it is a good key or not. It is the module that tells the other modules if it is a good key or not and if the vehicle is being stolen. Then the other modules do there thing accordingly.

Unfortunatly there is no orther means to disable the system other then having a dealership with a DRBIII scanner go into the module and disable it.

If you have any other keys you could try one of them and see if it still happens or not. Therer is a possibility that the key could cause the problem.

There is also a possibility that something in the steering column is causing a short when you turn the key to the off position. You can try moving the steering column location up and down (if you have a adjustable column).

I'm sure it is the SKIM but your problem is unusual in the sense that most problems with these systems are when you turn the key to run or start and not off.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I feel this is a good answer and I will try the other key and moving the stearing wheel. Are we allowed to ask follow up questions after we have paid?
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.

Hi, yes you can continue to post to this thread and I will continue to work with you as long as you need me too.