ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience:  ase master certified ,and factory certified,also autmotive instructor for 28 years
14457476

1990 Jeep Cherokee Starter relay wiring color codes...I want

1990 Jeep Cherokee Starter relay wiring color codes...I want to know which wires are which?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 5 years ago.
here is the relay .wait for the wirering.
Testing and Inspection
Notes

Starter Motor Relay Test

Starter Motor Relay Terminals

1. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the ground terminal and the ignition terminal.
  2. Using an ohmmeter, measure the resistance across these two terminals. Resistance should be approximately 22 ohms.
  3. Measure the resistance between either terminal and the negative post of the battery. Resistance should be infinite. If the resistance is not infinite, replace the relay. If the resistance is infinite, reconnect the ground and ignition electrical connectors.
  4. Disconnect the starter solenoid electrical connector, and connect the black lead of a voltmeter to the negative post of the battery and the red lead to the starter solenoid terminal of the relay.
  5. With the ignition switch held in the start position, the voltmeter should indicate 12 volts (battery voltage). If there is no voltage, check the wiring harnesses, bulkhead connector, and ignition switch adjustment.
  6. Disconnect the fuel pump ballast resistor terminal connector, and connect the red lead of a voltmeter to it. Connect the black lead to the negative post of the battery. With the ignition switch held in the start position, the voltmeter should indicate 12 volts (battery voltage).
  7. If battery voltage is not present, replace the relay.
  8. If battery voltage is present in steps 5 and 6, and the starter relay still is not functioning, reconnect the fuel pump ballast resistor electrical connector.

WARNING: Before the ground terminal is jumped, make sure that the vehicle is in PARK (automatic transmission) or NEUTRAL (manual transmission) and the parking brake is applied.

1. Connect a jumper wire between the ground terminal of the starter relay and the negative post of the battery. If the starter doesn't "click", replace the relay. If the starter "clicks", repair the ground circuit. See CHASSIS ELECTRICAL DIAGRAMS for ground circuit information.

here is the wireing.
Electrical Diagrams
Diagrams
Notes
Starting System
Notes
Starting System

© 2009 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience: ase master certified ,and factory certified,also autmotive instructor for 28 years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got a new starter relay for it, when i hook the Fuel, solenoid, Ignition, and ground wires up to it properly it will not start, when i cross the terminals it starts but it does it with the key in the "on" position, not in the "start" position as usuall. any ideas?
ok. let me view the relay for a minute i will get back to you.

does it crank ok while holding the key on crank position?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yea it cranks/starts good in both the on and crank position. but what i just realized is that after it starts the starter doesnt disengage

can you disconect the solenoid wire and the fuel pump wire and reverse , and try it

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
will do...hang on
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when i reversed the fuel and the solenoid wires, it cranks in the on position still

ok can you remove both wires turn key to on do not cranck, and with a test ligth check for power to each terminal disconected at the relay side you should have one with power and the other with no power.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok so i have power going into the relay box, but no power on either terminals
ok check wile cranking the engine now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when i crank it theres power going to the starter solenoid terminal.
and nothing to the other i gess?, can you look at the relay i send you and reverse ignition input and fuel pump and try?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when i reverse them i can turn the key to the crank position and nothing happends
ok can you check the ground wire to the relay, put the ground of the test ligth to the positive side of the battery and with the other end of the test ligth tough the wire ground coming to the relay. tell me if the ligth turns on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the light doesnt turn on
ok can you get a wire and conect it from the battry negative side,and in to this conector on the relay ,reconect all other wires acording to the relay picture i send to you make sure is a good ground, and try to cranck the truk
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i appreciate your help but im retrying tests at this point. thanks for your time