vipertech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Jeep factory certified technican

What is the serpentine belt routing for 1997 Jeep Wrangler

What is the serpentine belt routing for 1997 Jeep Wrangler Se/TJ 2.5L L4 FI AUTO with power steering - no AC

Good evening, here is the belt routing diagram that you requested.

If this answers your question then please press "ACCEPT "so that I may be paid for the time spent helping you. If you need more help then please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That's what I have seen i manuals and so on but I have a different setup in mine. I wish I could attach a diagram to show you, but there's another idler between the alternator and the fan?

The idler on the right hand side of the picture is the actually pulley/tensioner that is used to tighten the belt. Here is the diagram for the a/c setup so that you can see the difference.

The above information is directly from the Jeep service manual and there are only to designs....with or without a/c.

If you can attach a picture of your pulleys then please do so that I can visually see it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Take a look at this picture
that's what I have in my jeep - I bought it used a week ago. The extra idler is fixed and after reading manuals and your reply I think someone did some handywork on their own so to say ;-)
As you see in the picture that you sent me....the extra pulley is pointless and service no purpose. The idler pulleys are used to position the belt so that it doesnt come in contact with anything. I personally have never come across this issue or extra pulley in the last 12 years working at a Jeep dealer. I can not come up with no reason why the extra idler pulley would even be needed. I recommend trying to remove the extra pulley and seeing if the correct non-a/c belt now works correctly. One question....if your replacing the belt....does the replacement belt appear the same length when placed side by side?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well - I picked up a new belt at autozone it's a little shorter than the one mounted but I also removed the extra pulley - since I figured that it was wrong after reading the manual - but it's still to short. I also have to add that a picked up a new pulley at the same location and when I compared it to the ones mounted the new one was smaller, and maybe that's why the new belt doesn't fit. I think the way forward here is to verify that I have the right size pulleys and the right size belt and start from scratch. Thank you for your answer.
Your very much welcome. Please keep me informed. Thanks