Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech

Grand Cherokee: my gauges dont move and it wont fire

Customer Question

When I turn the key on my Grand Cherokee, my gauges don't move and it won't fire. What could be wrong?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Instructor JP replied 6 years ago.

HEllo Big t,

I will try to help

Do you have any interior lights?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hey JP, yes I do

Ok thank you

Now we need to see if you have a bad ignition switch or something to that effect.

Have you tried to jump start ??

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes no luck

Ok thank you

can you use a voltmeter and do you have one?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, no I don't

At this point I need a voltmeter to start checking voltage and prove out the sources to locate the issue.

If the battery is good then you may have any one number of things.

What is the year and engine size of the Jeep??

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1997 4.0

Sorry for the late response. Called it a night.

Ok I will give you the factory wiring diagram from the ignition switch and the fuse box under the hood. You will be able to determine why or witch piece is causing your issue.

After looking at the wiring diagram. Unless your ignition switch is unplugged at the column I feel strongly that you have either a bad battery or a bad 40 amp fuse on of two located in the power distribution center. They are or should be number "3" or "8" they are 40 amps each. You can have a bad battery and still have lights. check the two fuses.

let me know how you do.