Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

I have a loud thumping noise on drivers side front..brake pads

I have a loud thumping noise on drivers side front. The brake pads were just replaced and now less than a week later this starts to happen.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

What is the year and model of your Jeep?

When does it make the thumping noise - braking only, all the time, on acceleration, etc?

Where just the brake pads replaced, or was the more done on the brakes?

If thumping is occurring on braking, is there any vibration or pulsation felt in either the steering wheel or the brake pedal?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2002 jeep grand cherokee limited

makes the thumping when driving and turning to the left. Doesn't thump when turning to the right. Sound accelerates as speed accelerates. Sound decreases in volume and amount of thumping when brakes are applied

Just the brake pads in the front.

No vibration when brakes are applied
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Any roaring noise, or just the thumping?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just the thumping as far as I can tell
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

You need to have the front tires checked for belt separation - this is the most common reason for the noise you are describing under the conditions you have described.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Even though the noise stops when applying the brakes? Also, wouldn't I have the thumping during all directions. left right or straight? Why doesn't it happen when turning to the right?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Will the thumping stop as soon as brakes are applied at higher speeds, or does it slow down and stop at a much lower speed?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if I apply the brakes pretty hard at higher speeds the thumping stops. so,of course the car slows down also.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Usually if its the brakes, there will be a vibration associated with it, but you can take of the driver's wheel to make sure that rotor is flush against the hub, and the caliper bolts are both in and tight. Also make sure the caliper is not cocked at an angle.

If ok, I would suggest rotating the left front to the left rear and see if the thumpin either subsides or comes from the rear as I suspect it is a belt separation

The thumping can subside when the load changes when making a right hand turn, especially if belt separation is on the inner side of the tire- load comes off of it so the noise goes away. turning left keeps the load on it, so the thumping remains.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Eric,

So I went to remove the front left tire as you suggested and immediately discovered the problem. There were three loose lug nuts from the when the brake pads were replaced. After I tightened the lug nuts I took the car down the street and the thumping stopped. I guess sometimes its the simplest thing and not some big problem!! Thank you for your assistance and time.