ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience:  ase master certified ,and factory certified,also autmotive instructor for 28 years
14457476

I have an 03 jeep liberty 3.7 that has a noisy AC compressor

I have an 03 jeep liberty 3.7 that has a noisy AC compressor bearing. I was surprised to find online a replacement bearing because there are no auto parts stores or local dealerships selling this part. I understand through some research that I should replace the compressor itself as there is probably some more compelling reason that the bearing failed. However, if by some chance replacing this bearing alone fixes the problem I will have saved hundreds of dollars so you can see why I want to try. My question is how. I have the in depth manual that explains how to rebuild the engine and everything else except how to take this clutch apart. My concern is that I will pull the cover off and it will come springing out at me before I get a chance to look at it. I am fairly handy and have all the tools I will need to do this (I hope). If there is anyone out there please help and thank you very much in advance
Category: Jeep
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 5 years ago.
well, there are some spesial tools that would make the job easy, but you can do with out them let mi send you the the remove and replas

REMOVAL
The refrigerant system can remain fully-charged during compressor clutch, rotor, or coil replacement. The compressor clutch can be serviced in the vehicle.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the serpentine drive belt.
  3. Unplug the compressor clutch coil wire harness connector.
  4. Remove the four bolts that secure the compressor to the mounting bracket.
  5. Remove the compressor from the mounting bracket. Support the compressor in the engine compartment while servicing the clutch.

Fig.2 Clutch Nut Remove

1. Insert the two pins of the spanner wrench (Special Tool C-4489 or equivalent) into the holes of the clutch plate. Hold the clutch plate stationary and remove the hex nut.
  2. Remove the clutch plate.
  3. Remove the compressor clutch shims.

Fig.3 External Snap Ring Remove

1. Remove the external front housing snap ring with snap ring pliers.

Fig.4 Shaft Protector And Puller

1. Install the lip of the rotor puller (Special Tool C-6141 - 1 or equivalent) into the snap ring groove exposed in the previous step, and install the shaft protector (Special Tool C-6141-2 or equivalent).

Fig.5 Install Puller Plate

1. Install the puller through-bolts (Special Tool C-6461 or equivalent) through the puller flange and into the jaws of the rotor puller and tighten. Turn the puller center bolt clockwise until the rotor is free. CAUTION: DO NOT APPLY FORCE TO THE END OF THE COMPRESSOR SHAFT.

Fig.6 Clutch Coil Lead Wire Harness

1. Remove the screw and retainer from the clutch coil lead wire harness on the compressor front housing.

Fig.7 Clutch Field Coil Snap Ring Remove

1. Remove the snap ring from the compressor hub and remove the clutch field coil. Slide the clutch field coil off of the compressor hub.

INSPECTION
Examine the friction surfaces of the clutch rotor and the clutch plate for wear. The rotor and clutch plate should be replaced if there is excessive wear or scoring.

If the friction surfaces are oily, inspect the shaft and nose area of the compressor for oil. Remove the felt from the front cover. If the felt is saturated with oil, the shaft seal is leaking and the compressor must be replaced.

Check the rotor bearing for roughness or excessive leakage of grease. Replace the rotor and clutch plate, if required.

INSTALLATION

1. Install the clutch field coil and snap ring.
  2. Install the screw and retainer on the clutch coil lead wire harness on the compressor front housing. Tighten screw to 2.2 Nm (20 in. lbs.) .
  3. Align the rotor assembly squarely on the front compressor housing hub.

Fig.8 Clutch Pulley Install

1. Install the rotor bearing assembly with the installer (Special Tool C-6871 or equivalent). Thread the installer on the shaft, then turn the nut until the rotor assembly is seated.
  2. Install the external front housing snap ring with snap ring pliers. The bevel side of the snap ring must be facing outward. Press the snap ring to make sure it is properly seated in the groove. CAUTION: If the snap ring is not fully seated in the groove it will vibrate out, resulting in a clutch failure and severe damage to the front housing of the compressor.
  3. Install the original clutch shims on the compressor shaft.
  4. Install the clutch plate. Install the shaft hex nut and tighten to 15 - 20 Nm (11 - 15 ft. lbs.) .

Fig.9 Check Clutch Air Gap

1. Check the clutch air gap with a feeler gauge. If the air gap does not meet the specification, add or subtract shims as required. The air gap specification is 0.41 to 0.79 millimeter (0.016 to 0.031 inch) . NOTE: The air gap is determined by the spacer shims. When installing an original, or a new clutch assembly, try the original shims first. When installing a new clutch onto a compressor that previously did not have a clutch, use a 1.0, 0.50, and 0.13 millimeter (0.040, 0.020, and 0.005 inch) shims from the new clutch hardware package that is provided with the new clutch.
  2. To complete the procedure.

© 2009 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use
e prosedure .

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is this proceedure specific for a jeep 3.7 or is it a generic model. I think I can do this if these diagrams are semi accurate for my jeep. I just dont want any surprises. thanks
100% accurate got it out off mopar tech conect.
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience: ase master certified ,and factory certified,also autmotive instructor for 28 years