Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

1994 Jeep cherokee: lights went..Checked fuses...all ok...brake switch

1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport...brake lights went out. Checked fuses...all ok. Is this just the brake switch, or is it possible there are other causes?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.
The problem could be the brake switch but it could also be a wiring problem so to be sure the wiring to the brake switch should be checked.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Since the switch is easy enough to access and I go to Autozone and buy a new one and replace there any special thing I need to do to set the switch? I read in my Haynes about pulling the brake all the way out and ratcheting it...but somehow I don't see how it would "ratchet" into place. Any extra hints would be helpful in replacing the switch...
Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.
I do not have the exact process to install the switch but I believe you would just put the switch into the holder and when you pull the brake pedal out it adjust the switch to the right position. The switch will probably come with instructions to install it. While you have the wires off you might check the pink/black stripe wire to see if there is power on it with the key on. If there is not the problem is else ware.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just one clarifying question and I will accept - promise. When the switch is off I am to check to pink/black wire and if there is NO power (when the key is on) then the problem is somewhere else down the line...yes?
Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.
If the wire does not have power on it the problem would be between the fuse and the brake switch.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your help...btw, do you happen to remember which fuse the brake lights are on? I checked them all and they are fine, but there was no listing for the fuses under the dash so I was flying blind. The ones in the engine were listed...but I would like to know which one the brakes are on just for reference. Thanks again! (I'm new at if I hit reply and I lose the chance to accept, remember to reply to me so I can accept and you get paid...)
Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.
It is fuse f13 or 13 in the power distribution box, I believe that is the one under the hood.