CDJMasterTech, Jeep MasterTech
Experience:  Factory trained and certified Jeep Master Technician, ASE Master Technician

1994 Jeep Cherokee Laredo: gauge..everything electronic..speed sensor

Customer Question

Speed Odometer for a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Laredo is not functioning or working. Does the speed odometer cable or gauge need to be replaced or is everything electronic? I have already replaced the speed sensor and that is working fine but the speed odometer still does not function.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  CDJMasterTech replied 7 years ago.
The speedometer works electronically, there is no cable. If you are sure you replaced the correct sensor, then the next thing to check is the sensor drive. You need to make sure the drive gear is actually turning the sensor. If I have answered your question please hit accept and feel free to ask any further questions regarding this matter.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am sorry for replying so late and I am just returning home. On Tuesday we replaced the speed sensor with the 3 wires attached. The mileage is reducing on the monitor for the 3000 mileage maintenance and oil change. Is there another direct speed sensor that operates the dashboard speedometer/controls and if so, where is it located?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I did not get a reply from CDJ MasterTech. Is there another direct speed sensor that operates the dashboard speedometer/controls and if so, where is it located?

The speed sensor that you already changed operates the speedometer, odometer and the oil change interval monitor. Does the odometer work? If it does, then you know for sure that you have a bad speedometer. Even though the speedometer and the odometer come together as one unit it is possible for the speedometer portion to fail and odometer portion to continue to function. Sorry about the long delay, we are now in the middle of moving across the country and internet service is spoty. I will try to answer as quickly as possible.