jeepmopar76
jeepmopar76, Jeep/Chrysler Triple Master Tech
Experience:  32yr ASE Master Tech, 9yr Chrysler Master Tech, 19 yr Jeep Dealership service including AMC/Eagle
16831211

I need to replace my Evaporator Core on my 2002 Jeep Liberty

I need to replace my Evaporator Core on my 2002 Jeep Liberty and want to do it myself. Do you have any references or advice. I know I have to go through the dash, but that's the extent of my knowledge so far. I know what the evaporator core is, does and looks like, but I need advice on replacing it instead of having the mechanic do it for their price of $1,300.00 with a puported 8 hours of labor. Can you help? Thank you. Customer
Category: Jeep
Expert:  jeepmopar76 replied 5 years ago.
i just loked up the labor time in Chilton, and it calls for 4.0 hours labor, plus 1 hour to evacuate and recharge.There is no way they should charge that much, when it is written in the labor manuals at 4 hours. I would get another estimate. I will try to send you the proceedure anyway, but it will take a lot of work,as online manuals keep sending you to a different link, for photos, additional proceedures, etc.Let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your response-- sorry it took so long to get back to you= computer problems... I am looking for the procedure. If you could help with that, that would be great, thank you.

here is the removal proceedure; as you will see there are several "refer to" or "figure 1,2,3,etc''. If you want to see any of these let me know. I cannot sit here and copy and paste all night long. You will not need all, if any, because it is pretty straight forward.

REMOVAL

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

NOTE: Before starting this procedure, be certain to turn the steering wheel until the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the instrument panel speakers. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/AUDIO/SPEAKER - REMOVAL)
  3. Remove the floor console. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/FLOOR CONSOLE - REMOVAL)
  4. Remove the radio. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/AUDIO/RADIO - REMOVAL)
  5. Remove the four nuts and remove the center support bracket. (INSTRUMENT PANEL ASSEMBLY)
  6. Remove the ground strap bolt and disconnect the restraint module electrical connector. (HVAC BOLTS)
  7. Position front wheels straight ahead.
  8. Remove knee blocker cover and knee blocker. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/KNEE BLOCKER - REMOVAL)
  9. Remove screws from the lower column shroud and remove both the upper and lower shrouds. (SHROUD REMOVAL/INSTALL)
  10. Turn ignition key to the on position.
  11. Disconnect the automatic transmission shifter interlock cable from the column, if equipped.

CAUTION: Do not turn the clockspring more than 90° or damage to the clockspring may occur.

12. Using a grease pencil or equivalent, mark the position of the steering wheel.
  13. Remove the steering coupler bolt and column mounting nuts and bolts then lower column off the mounting studs. (STEERING COLUMN MOUNTING)
  14. Disconnect and remove the wiring harness from the column. (WIRING HARNESS COLUMN)
  15. Slide the shifter interlock cable from the tie straps.
  16. Remove the steering column.

CAUTION: Do not remove the brake lamp switch. This is a one time component and is not intended for reinstallation. If the brake lamp switch is removed it must be discarded and replaced with a new switch.

17. Disconnect the brake lamp switch electrical connector.
  18. Remove the drivers side cowl trim cover. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/COWL TRIM COVER - REMOVAL)
  19. Disconnect the wire harness connector behind the drivers side cowl trim cover.
  20. Disconnect the green and light blue wire harness bulk connectors at the junction block. (JUNCTION BLOCK CONNECTORS)
  21. Disconnect the electrical connector at the inner side of the pedal support bracket. (PEDAL SUPPORT BRACKET)
  22. Remove the two bolts at the front of the pedal support bracket. (PEDAL SUPPORT BRACKET)
  23. Remove the two bolts from the bottom side of the pedal support bracket. (PEDAL SUPPORT BRACKET)
  24. Remove the two roll down bracket bolts at the drivers cowl side panel. (INSTRUMENT PANEL ASSEMBLY)
  25. Remove the glove box. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/GLOVE BOX - REMOVAL)
  26. Remove the two HVAC mounting bolts behind the center trim. (HVAC BOLTS)
  27. Remove the passenger side trim bezel. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/INSTRUMENT PANEL PASSENGER SIDE BEZEL - REMOVAL)
  28. Remove the HVAC mounting bolt above the glove box striker. (HVAC UPPER BOLT)
  29. Remove the HVAC bolt at the lower outside corner of the glove box opening. (HVAC CONNECTIONS)
  30. Remove the passenger side cowl trim cover. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/COWL TRIM COVER - REMOVAL)
  31. Disconnect the blower resistor electrical connector. (HVAC CONNECTIONS)
  32. Remove the two roll down bracket bolts at the passenger cowl side panel.
  33. Disconnect the vacuum check valve and the vacuum reservoir. (HVAC CONNECTIONS)
  34. Disconnect the blower motor electrical connector.
  35. Disconnect the blend door connector. (BLEND DOOR CONNECTOR (TYPICAL))
  36. Remove the four bolts at the top of the instrument panel connecting to the cowl front panel.
  37. Roll the instrument panel rearward and remove the wire harness from routing channel in the rear.
  38. Disconnect the push pin fastener and position aside the radio wire harness. Note the location of the harness for installation.
  39. Remove the instrument panel.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thank you for the procedure to remove the dash/steering column etc, but what will I see/need to do once behind the dash? Thanks.
I am trying to send you a page on removing the HVAC, but can't get it to copy and paste

HVAC case components-Liberty

Here is another complete proceedure; i hope this one goes:

• Drain the cooling system into a clean container for reuse.

• Remove the instrument panel by performing the following procedure:

• Turn the steering wheel in the straight-ahead position.

• Remove the A-pillar trim from both sides of the vehicle.

• Remove the top cover from the instrument panel.

• Remove the speakers.

• Remove the floor console.

• Remove the radio.

• Remove the center support bracket.

• Remove the trim panels from both sides of the inner cowl.

• Remove the fuse cover from the junction box.

• Remove the instrument panel cluster bezel.

• Remove the steering column opening cover from the instrument panel.

• Remove the steering column bracket from the instrument panel column support bracket.

• Remove the lower steering column shroud cover-to-multifunction switch screw; then, unsnap both halves of the shroud cover from the steering column.

• Disconnect the instrument panel wiring harness connectors from the following steering column components:

• Both lower clockspring connector receptacles

• Left multifunction switch receptacle

• Right multifunction switch receptacle

• Both ignition switch receptacles

• Shifter interlock solenoid receptacle

• Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) receptacle, if equipped

• Turn the ignition switch to ON position; then, release and remove the shifter interlock cable connector from the ignition lock housing receptacle.

• Turn the ignition switch to OFF position; this will prevent the steering wheel from turning and the loss of the clockspring centering following steering column removal.

• Remove the 4 steering column-to-instrument panel steering column bracket nuts.

• Remove the steering column from the instrument panel.

• Remove the driver's side cowl trim cover.

• Disconnect the green and light blue wire harness bulk connectors at the junction block.

• Disconnect the electrical connector at the inner side of the pedal support bracket.

• Remove the 2 bolts from the front and the 2 from the side of the pedal support bracket.

• Remove the glove box.

• Remove the 2 HVAC mounting bolts behind the center trim.

• Remove the passenger trim bezel.

• Remove the HVAC mount bolt above the glove box.

• Remove the HVAC bolt at the lower outside glove box opening.

• Remove the passenger trim cover, disconnect the blower resistor, remove the rolldown brackets at the right cowl side panel.

• Disconnect the vacuum check valve and the vacuum reservoir.

• Disconnect the blower connectors.

• Remove the 4 top bolts connecting the instrument panel to the cowl.

• Roll the instrument panel rearward and disconnect the wiring.

• Remove the panel.

• Discharge and recover the air conditioning system refrigerant.

• Disconnect the air conditioning system lines at the evaporator. Plug the openings to prevent contamination.

• Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core. Plug the openings to prevent coolant loss.

• If equipped with a manual temperature control system, unplug the heater/air conditioning system vacuum supply line connector from the T-fitting located near the heater core tubes.

• Remove all remaining fasteners and connections and remove the HVAC unit.

• Disconnect all remaining hoses and wires.

• Remove the blower motor.

• Pop out the grommet on the vacuum supply line and slide hole.

• Remove the foam gasket from around the heater core tubes.

• Pry off the 4 snap clips that hold the halves of the unit together and separate the unit halves.

• Installation is the reverse of removal.

• Refill the cooling system.

• Connect the negative battery.

• Evacuate, charge and leak test the system.

• Run the engine to normal operating temperatures. Check the climate control operation and check for leaks

• jeepmopar76, Jeep/Chrysler Triple Master Tech
    Experience: 32yr ASE Master Tech, 9yr Chrysler Master Tech, 19 yr Jeep Dealership service including AMC/Eagle