petek26
petek26, Technician
Experience:  10 years experience, Master Ase tech, Master chrysler, jeep, and dodge tech
13512669

Have 2001 Jeep Sport. Turn signals (both) frequently stop

Have 2001 Jeep Sport. Turn signals (both) frequently stop blinking (dash) and are solid. Flipping left and right sometimes return to blink other times not. Blinking returns without intervention. All bulbs appear to be working. Any ideas?
Thanks, Customer
Category: Jeep
Expert:  petek26 replied 5 years ago.

Is this vehicle a cherokee? wrangler? or a grand cherokee? What happens as i see it are two possible scenarios. One if the there is excessive resistance in that circuit the turn signals will not work, just the same way as they are for you. A poor ground, a light socket with corrosion in it will do this. Also you may have a flasher on the turn signal switch that has gone bad, this is really common. let me know which vehicle you have and I can let you know from there.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The vehicle is a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport. How can I tell if the flasher is on the same circuit? Can I tell by looking at the fuse box (will be looking at fuse box after I sent this)?

Can flasher be checked or just replaced?
Expert:  petek26 replied 5 years ago.
The combination flasher is not in the fuse box it actually has its own location under the dash, i will send you a picture of it, this is where i would look to find the problem first as long as you are sure there are no areas of excessive resistance. we just replace them.graphic
petek26, Technician
Experience: 10 years experience, Master Ase tech, Master chrysler, jeep, and dodge tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sir, I received your image and, not being a qualified mechanic, found, by removing a panel on the left side, under the dash two similar contraptions. The one higher up may be the one I'm looking for.

Can you provide more detail info/images or refer me to a website that can provide me with more detail?

Regarding excessive resistance: When I first looked at the panel, I saw a red button and it reminded me that 3 years ago I had an alarm/remote start system installed. Whenever the system is used, the parking or signal lights turn on for 30 seconds. However, the problem did not start when the system was installed. Thought I'd mention it because of your question re: resistance.

Please provide better info on what I have to remove/replace so I can accept your answer.

Thank you, Customer
Expert:  petek26 replied 5 years ago.

Here are the actual directions on removing, placement and install of the combination flasher. The removal numbers are messed up the second #1 is actually #3 and so on.

If this helps you get to it let me know, if you need anything else let me know. The alarm will usually malfunction indicating a problem, if you haven't had an issue with the alarm recently i wouldn't look at it right away a possible point of problem.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the knee blocker from the instrument panel.
  1. Reach through the outboard side of the steering column opening to access and disengage the instrument panel wire harness connector for the combination flasher from the instrument panel diagnostic splice block mounting bracket.
  2. Pull the combination flasher into the instrument panel steering column opening far enough to access the wire harness connector.
  3. Disconnect the combination flasher from the wire harness connector.
  4. Remove the combination flasher from under the instrument panel.

INSTALLATION

1. Position the combination flasher under the instrument panel.
  2. Align the combination flasher terminals with the terminal cavities in the wire harness connector.
  3. Push in firmly on the combination flasher until the terminals are fully seated in the terminal cavities in the wire harness connector.
  4. Reinstall the retainer of the instrument panel wire harness connector for the combination flasher into the mounting hole of the instrument panel diagnostic splice block mounting bracket.
  5. Reinstall the knee blocker onto the instrument panel.
  6. Reconnect the battery negative cable.