vipertech
vipertech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Jeep factory certified technican
3256298

2002 Jeep Liberty: P1686 and P1698 codes

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty and am getting P1686 and P1698 codes. What does this mean?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  vipertech replied 7 years ago.

Good evening, the code P1686 is no SKIM BUS message recieved. The means that there was no message recieved from the special gray key security module in simple terms.

P1698 is no BUS message from the trans controller.

Both of these codes require some detailed checking and diagnosis. Depending on if both of these codes are active.....and not stored, then the codes may be related. There is no one common cause for these codes. You will need to have access to a scanner that can access both the trans controller as well as the SKM module. If you have the correct scanner than let me know and I will give you the detailed flow charts to check the codes.

The possible cause could be wiring or a possible defective control module.

If this answers your question than please press "ACCEPT". If you need more help then please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Im guessing both of these codes are active. The codes were cleared and they came right back. I have a scanner that does check the trans control as well as the SKM module.

When you say the "grey Key", I assume that you are referring to the grey ignition key. If so, we tried the spare key and it did not have any affect on the check engine light. The light still remained illuminated.

When I cleared the codes again and immediately rescanned, I then got a P0740, TCC circuit Malfunction. Does this help diagnose the issue?

Expert:  vipertech replied 7 years ago.

Yes, I am speaking of the special Grey key. The key wont be the issue, the lack of communication between control modules will be. Being that they did come back then the codes are active. At this point you will need to run the test for the codes that you found. Here are the flow charts:

P1686

P1698

P0740

As mentioned, there is no common cause for these codes so you will need to run the tests.