CDJMasterTech
CDJMasterTech, Jeep MasterTech
Experience:  Factory trained and certified Jeep Master Technician, ASE Master Technician
18188794

1988 JEEP: START.IT CRANKS OVER FINE BUT WONT FIRE.I..COIL..STEER

I HAVE A 1988 JEEP CHEROKEE.SOMETIMES IT WILL NOT START.IT CRANKS OVER FINE BUT WON'T FIRE.I HAVE NO SPARK COMING OUT OF COIL.ITESTED THE COIL AND THE IGNITION MODULE.BOTH CHECKED GOOD.SOMETIMES WHEN THIS OCCURES IT WILL START LATER OR TOMORROW.THIS TIME IT HAS NOT STARTED FOR THREE DAYS.I'M LEANING TOWARDS MAYBE IT'S THE CRANKSAFT POSITION SENSOR.COULD YOU POSSIBLE STEER ME IN THE DIRECTOIN ON THE PROBLEM?THANKS ALOT GUYS.
                                    DAVID
Category: Jeep
Expert:  CDJMasterTech replied 8 years ago.
If you are sure the coil and the ignition module are good then it is very likely the CPS is failing. This is a common failure. Also check the CPS circuits where they run through the bulkhead connector located on the drivers side of the firewall. I usually bypass the bulkhead connector to avoid problems in this area. Any resistance in the bulkhead connector can cause a loss of CPS signal between the sensor and the PCM(powertrain control module).