Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep and ASE Certified Master Tech
12365498

2002 jeep liberty: the clutch..air conditioner..without replacing

Can the clutch on my 2002 jeep liberty air conditioner be replaced without replacing the entire unit?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Jeep. Yes it can. There is a clutch and coil package available from the dealer and possibly an after market clutch/coil package available from auto parts stores. Here is some info on that for you. Hope this helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris

REMOVAL

The refrigerant system can remain fully-charged during compressor clutch, rotor, or coil replacement. The compressor clutch can be serviced in the vehicle.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the serpentine drive belt(Refer to 7 - COOLING/ACCESSORY DRIVE/DRIVE BELTS - REMOVAL).
  3. Unplug the compressor clutch coil wire harness connector.
  4. Remove the four bolts that secure the compressor to the mounting bracket.
  5. Remove the compressor from the mounting bracket. Support the compressor in the engine compartment while servicing the clutch.
  6. Insert the two pins of the spanner wrench (Special Tool C-4489 or equivalent) into the holes of the clutch plate. Hold the clutch plate stationary and remove the hex nut (Clutch Nut Remove-Typical).
  7. Remove the clutch plate.
  8. Remove the compressor clutch shims.
  9. Remove the external front housing snap ring with snap ring pliers (External Snap Ring Remove-Typical).
  10. Install the lip of the rotor puller (Special Tool C-6141-1 or equivalent) into the snap ring groove exposed in the previous step, and install the shaft protector (Special Tool C-6141-2 or equivalent) (Shaft Protector and Puller-Typical).
  11. Install the puller through-bolts (Special Tool C-6461 or equivalent) through the puller flange and into the jaws of the rotor puller and tighten (Install Puller Plate-Typical). Turn the puller center bolt clockwise until the rotor is free.

CAUTION: DO NOT APPLY FORCE TO THE END OF THE COMPRESSOR SHAFT.

12. Remove the screw and retainer from the clutch coil lead wire harness on the compressor front housing (Clutch Coil Lead Wire Harness-Typical).
  13. Remove the snap ring from the compressor hub and remove the clutch field coil (Clutch Field Coil Snap Ring Remove-Typical). Slide the clutch field coil off of the compressor hub

INSTALLATION

1. Install the clutch field coil and snap ring.
  2. Install the screw and retainer on the clutch coil lead wire harness on the compressor front housing. Tighten screw to 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.).
  3. Align the rotor assembly squarely on the front compressor housing hub.
  4. Install the rotor bearing assembly with the installer (Special Tool C-6871 or equivalent) (CLUTCH PULLEY INSTALL - Typical). Thread the installer on the shaft, then turn the nut until the rotor assembly is seated.
  5. Install the external front housing snap ring with snap ring pliers. The bevel side of the snap ring must be facing outward. Press the snap ring to make sure it is properly seated in the groove.

CAUTION: If the snap ring is not fully seated in the groove it will vibrate out, resulting in a clutch failure and severe damage to the front housing of the compressor.

6. Install the original clutch shims on the compressor shaft.
  7. Install the clutch plate. Install the shaft hex nut and tighten to 15-20 N·m (11-15 ft. lbs.).
  8. Check the clutch air gap with a feeler gauge (CHECK CLUTCH AIR GAP - Typical). If the air gap does not meet the specification, add or subtract shims as required. The air gap specification is 0.41 to 0.79 millimeter (0.016 to 0.031 inch).

NOTE: The air gap is determined by the spacer shims. When installing an original, or a new clutch assembly, try the original shims first. When installing a new clutch onto a compressor that previously did not have a clutch, use a 1.0, 0.50, and 0.13 millimeter (0.040, 0.020, and 0.005 inch) shims from the new clutch hardware package that is provided with the new clutch.

1 - CLUTCH PLATE
2 - SPANNER

1 - PULLEY
2 - SNAP RING PLIERS

1 - PULLER JAW
2 - PULLER

1 - COIL
2 - SNAP RING PLIERS

1 - FEELER GAUGE

Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: Jeep and ASE Certified Master Tech