Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

How to remove 2000 grand cherokee Front Caliper Assembly

Hello and welcome to just answer Jeep. Here is the procedure for you. Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris

FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER

REMOVAL

1. Raise and support vehicle.
  2. Remove front wheel and tire assembly.
  3. Drain small amount of fluid from master cylinder brake reservoir with clean suction gun.
  4. Bottom caliper pistons into the caliper by prying the caliper over Bottoming Caliper Piston
  5. Remove brake hose banjo bolt and gasket washers. Discard gasket washers.
  6. Remove the caliper support spring by prying the spring out of the caliper Caliper Support Spring
  7. Remove the caliper slide pin bushing caps and remove the slide pins Slide Pins
  8. Remove caliper from the anchor.
  9. Remove the inboard brake shoe Inboard Brake Shoe

INSTALLATION

1. Install the inboard brake shoe Inboard Brake Shoe
  2. Lubricate the slide pins and slide pin bushings with Dow Corning® grease G807 or the grease provided with the caliper.
  3. Install the caliper on the anchor.
  4. Install the caliper slide pin and tighten to 29-41 N·m (21-30 ft. lbs.)
  5. Install the caliper slide pin bushing caps.
  6. Install the caliper support spring in the top end of the caliper and under the anchor. Then install other end into the lower caliper hole. Hold the spring into the caliper hole with your thumb while prying the end of the spring out and down under the anchor with a screw drive.
  7. Install brake hose to caliper with new gasket washers and tighten banjo bolt to 31 N·m (23 ft. lbs.)

CAUTION: Verify brake hose is not twisted or kinked before tightening banjo bolt.

8. Fill and bleed brake system.
  9. Install wheel and tire assemblies.
  10. Remove supports and lower vehicle.
  11. Verify brake fluid level.

graphicgraphicgraphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanx a million CJ. I could have never figured this out by myslef!!!!!!!!!!!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Cj, here's my delima. While the info is most useful. One important aspect is missing. HOW DO I GET THE CALIPER SLIDE PINS OFF? I HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING WHAT TYPE OF TOOL TO GRAB. i CAN NOT EVEN GET STARTED TO CHANG OUT MY PADS BECAUSE THE INFO DOES NOT GO INTO DEATIL ON WHAT TO LOOK FOR AND TO "ACTUALLY" REMOVE THE CALIPER TO GET TO THE WORN PADS. PLEASE HELP

Ok, They are going to be a Torx bit (#35 or 40 I think), or a 10mm socket. Get yourself a flashlight and a mirror and look at the pins to determine which ones you have. Thanks for the accept, and let me know how it goes,

Chris

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanx again. will let you know you how it went

Sounds good. Let me know,

Chris