a dodgetech
a dodgetech, Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Tech 10+ Years of A/C and Electrical and Body Mechanical

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee-- Passenger rear door will not unlock

Customer Question

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee-- Passenger rear door will not unlock !Door Will not open ! Removed pannel and rod clips -- locking slide rod will not work in either direction , therefore door will not unlock to open. If I could get door open, I could remove the Torx screws and remove the complete mechanism . Is there another way to get around this problem --your recommendations would be appreciated. XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Jeep
Expert:  a dodgetech replied 5 years ago.
Have you tried to open it from the outside handle. It sounds like the child proof switch is engaged. Those latches go out all the time , but I have not seen one that could not be opened at all.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The child latch / switch is inside the door opening--cannot get to it without the door being opened.Is there a way to get to it from the inside of the door pannel ? & why would it not let you open it from the outside ? The outside handle is the first thing tried--acts like it is locked ..
If you unlocked the door you should have been able to open it from the outside unless the outer door handle is broken.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The door handle does not seem to have any problems --works just like it should except the travel is not what it would be to completely unlatch the mechanism.
The slide latch inside the door / the one that connects to the actuating rod ---will not move in either direction/// makes me believe that the mechanical lock is frozen or the operating system has something jammed.
Believe me that this is not a junk car -- it has been well cared for and repaired by reputable mechanics when needed. I figured this to be a rather simple problem that I might tackle myself but perhaps it is more than I bargained for.
Is there another way to get the door open ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The door handle does not seem to have any problems --works just like it should except the travel is not what it would be to completely unlatch the mechanism. The slide latch inside the door / the one that connects to the actuating rod ---will not move in either direction/// makes me believe that the mechanical lock is frozen or the operating system has something jammed. Believe me that this is not a junk car -- it has been well cared for and repaired by reputable mechanics when needed. I figured this to be a rather simple problem that I might tackle myself but perhaps it is more than I bargained for. Is there another way to get the door open ?
If you know what rod is for the lock,than you can try to pull on it while someone is one the outside trying to open it from the outer handle.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sounds like you are guessing ! That was also tried .
thats the only advise i can give thats what i would do if it wont move i dont know of another way to open the door
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am sure that you are very qualified in Automotive repair but I still cannot get the door opened. I don't want to break the lock or cause other physical damage because of my not knowing a simple technique to make the lock " unlock". Perhaps another technician would offersome advise.