moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Chrysler Dodge Jeep Master Tech
13195827

jeep liberty: i replace the drivers side seat belt..3.5L

Customer Question

how do i replace the drivers side seat belt in a 2006 3.5L jeep liberty? (dog chewed through belt)
Category: Jeep
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.

FRONT

WARNING: To avoid serious or fatal injury on vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the supplemental restraint system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, occupant classification system, seat belt tensioner, impact sensor, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the supplemental restraint system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment.

WARNING: To avoid serious or fatal injury during and following any seat belt or child restraint anchor service, carefully inspect all seat belts, buckles, mounting hardware, retractors, tether straps, and anchors for proper installation, operation, or damage. Replace any belt that is cut, frayed, or torn. Straighten any belt that is twisted. Tighten any loose fasteners. Replace any belt that has a damaged or ineffective buckle or retractor. Replace any belt that has a bent or damaged latch plate or anchor plate. Replace any child restraint anchor or the unit to which the anchor is integral that has been bent or damaged. Never attempt to repair a seat belt or child restraint component. Always replace damaged or ineffective seat belt and child restraint components with the correct, new and unused replacement parts listed in the Chrysler Mopar ® Parts Catalog. Failure to follow these instructions may result in possible serious or fatal injury.

1.On the driver side only, disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before further service.
2.On the driver side only, remove the front seat and seat track from the floor panel as a unit. (Refer to 23 - Body/Seats/SEAT - Removal) .
3.On the driver side only, disconnect the seat belt switch pigtail wire (1) connector from the seat wire harness connector (2) on the seat cushion frame bracket (3) located under the rear edge of the seat cushion near the inboard side of the seat.

4.Remove the screw (3) that secures the front seat belt buckle (1) anchor to the bracket near the rear of the inboard seat track.
5.On the driver side only, remove the two screws that secure the inboard seat cushion side shield (2) to the seat cushion frame.
6.On the driver side only, remove the two screws that secure the inboard seat track to the rear inboard corner of the seat cushion frame.
7.On the driver side only, disconnect the seat belt switch pigtail wire routing clip from the locating hole in the seat cushion frame.
8.On the driver side only, remove the seat belt switch pigtail wire from between the seat cushion frame and the seat track by gently prying the inboard seat track away from the inboard rear corner of the seat cushion frame far enough to slide the pigtail wire from between them.
9.Remove the buckle from the seat.