a dodgetech
a dodgetech, Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Tech 10+ Years of A/C and Electrical and Body Mechanical

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee: my right and left turn signals..way flashers

Both my right and left turn signals stopped working on my '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The 4-way flashers work but the right side lamp does not. Could this cause both turn signals to stop working and how do I replace the lamp?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  a dodgetech replied 5 years ago.

mose likley it is the combo flasher. attached is the opperation of said flasher

COMBINATION FLASHER

The combination flasher is a smart relay that functions as both the turn signal system and hazard warning system flasher. The combination flasher contains active electronic Integrated Circuitry (IC) elements. This flasher is designed to handle the current flow requirements of the factory-installed lighting. If supplemental lighting is added to the turn signal lamp circuits, such as when towing a trailer with lights, the combination flasher will automatically try to compensate to keep the flash rate the same.

While the combination flasher has a International Standards Organization (ISO)-type relay terminal configuration or footprint, the internal circuitry is much different. The combination flasher does not use standard ISO-relay inputs or provide ISO-relay type outputs or functions. The combination flasher should never be substituted for an ISO-relay or replaced with an ISO-relay, or else component and vehicle damage may occur.

The combination flasher has five blade-type terminals intended for the following inputs and outputs: Battery B+, Ignition B+, Ground, Turn Signal circuit, and Hazard Warning circuit. Constant battery voltage and ground are supplied to the flasher so that it can perform the hazard warning function, and ignition switched battery voltage is supplied for the turn signal function. Refer to Turn Signals in Wiring Diagrams for complete circuit descriptions, diagrams and terminal function identification.

The IC within the combination flasher Combination Flasher - Typical contains the logic that controls the flasher operation and the flash rate. Pin 6 of the IC receives a sense voltage from the hazard warning portion of the multi-function switch. When the hazard switch is turned on, the "hazard on sense" voltage will become low due to the circuit being grounded through the turn signal bulbs. This low voltage sense signals the IC to energize the flash control Positive-Negative-Positive (PNP) transistor at a pre-calibrated flash rate or frequency. Each time the PNP transistor energizes the hazard warning circuit, the pin 6 "hazard on sense" voltage will become high and the IC signals the PNP transistor to de-energize the circuit. This cycling will continue until the hazard warning switch is turned off.

Likewise, pin 8 of the IC receives a sense voltage from the turn signal portion of the multi-function switch. When the left or right turn signal is turned on, the "turn signal on sense" voltage will become low due to the circuit being grounded through the turn signal bulbs. This low voltage sense signals the IC to energize the flash control PNP transistor at a pre-calibrated flash rate or frequency. Each time the PNP transistor energizes the turn signal circuit, the pin 8 "turn signal on sense" voltage will become high and the IC signals the PNP transistor to de-energize the circuit. This cycling will continue until the right or left turn signal is turned off.

A special design feature of the combination flasher allows it to "sense" that a turn signal circuit or bulb is not operating, and provide the driver an indication of the condition by flashing the remaining bulbs in the affected circuit at a higher rate (120 flashes-per-minute or higher) Conventional flashers either continue flashing at their typical rate (heavy-duty type), or discontinue flashing the affected circuit entirely (standard-duty type) During turn signal operation, the combination flasher IC compares normal battery voltage input on pin 2 with the shunt resistor voltage input on pin 7. If the IC "senses" that the voltage difference between pin 2 and pin 7 is different than the pre-calibrated value of the IC, it will increase the rate at which it signals the PNP transistor to energize the pin 1 output. Thus, the inoperative half (left or right side) of the turn signal circuit will flash faster.

Because of the active electronic elements within the combination flasher, it cannot be tested with conventional automotive electrical test equipment. If the combination flasher is believed to be faulty, test the turn signal and hazard warning system circuits as described in this group. Then replace the combination flasher with a known good unit to confirm system operation.

The combination flasher cannot be repaired and, if faulty or damaged, it must be replaced. ..Hope this answers your question. dont forget to accept.. Thank you Richard

a dodgetech, Technician
Experience: Chrysler Master Tech 10+ Years of A/C and Electrical and Body Mechanical
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where is the combo flasher located?