rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Automotive trainer
Experience:  37 years experience

1993 jeep grand cherokee laredo: wont start..ignition switch..solenoid

Customer Question

I have a 1993 jeep grand cherokee laredo that wont start,i've put on a new ignition switch,starter,solenoid and replaced the battery terminals. I had the battery tested and it's fine i even checked the fuses and from what i can see they look fine, is there anything else that could be the problem that i'm overlooking?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 years ago.

Hi kdkinight32,

Let me understand you correctly, the engine will no crank/spin over, right? Do all the lights and horn work?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
correct,everything comes on but it wont crank at all,headlights,horn,radio,even the dam security alarm works,i just cant get it to start,i turn the key and nothing happens besides the lights and such
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 years ago.

Ah ha! Check that security system closely, it may not be allowing power from the ignition switch to the starter/solenoid. If power is there when cranking, you may want to replace the battery cables completely instead of the ends that you already did.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

if i pulled the fuse for the security system would that work at all or is that needed for the engine to run?

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 years ago.

It's integrated with the computer system, so that won't work. You may be able to start the Jeep by shorting across the starter solenoid with the key on and in neutral. If it cranks that way and starts, the security system is at fault. That would mean that the computer system is interrupting power to the solenoid through the switch. I'll bet that's what's wrong!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would that be something i may be able to fix on my own easily?,lol
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 years ago.

Not if it's the security system, a shop will have to reset it first and see if that fixes it. If not, then repairs will need to be made after the proper diagnosis is performed.

Thanks again in advance for your ACCEPT,

rpmdiag, Automotive trainer
Experience: 37 years experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
crap,i was afraid of that,thank you very much for your help
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 years ago.

No problem, it won't be that expensive though, maybe 150.

Thanks again,