moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Chrysler Dodge Jeep Master Tech

1998 Jeep Cherokee: I ned to replace the heater core..steering wheel

Customer Question

1998 Jeep Cherokee I ned to replace the heater core. I have the factory shop manual. The steering column removal procedure calls for removing the airnag and then removing the steering wheel. Can I remove the entire column with the wheel as an assembly or is there a reason one must remove the air bag and wheel. I understand the caution with regrad to the air bag. Secondly, what is normal shop time for this job? I'm trying to estimate how long it will take. I arrange for mobile air conditioning service for this part of the job.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
Yes you can remove the whole column to do it.Really it will make it easy to do. This job pays 6 hours labor to do.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks That helps alot. I could not see a reason why the book removes the wheel and the air bag. It looks like to remove the front attachment screws for the center console I need to pop out the bezel around the shift lever (manual transmission) with a small blade. What is the type of clip I'm trying to release? I don't want to break the plastic around the shift lever and theXXXXXlever. What's the trick?

Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
I will send you some info on the console removale.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the factory shop manual but tye more information I have before I start the better.

Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.

1. Remove the transmission shift lever handle/knob:
    • Automatic transmissions, pull the handle straight upward to remove it.
    • Insert a thin-blade tool under the edge of the transmission shift indicator bezel and pry up to remove.
    • Manual transmissions, loosen the locknut and un-thread the shift knob from the shaft.
    • Pull the shift boot up to remove.
  2. Insert a thin-blade tool under the edge of the transfer case shift indicator bezel or cover plate and pry up to remove.
  3. Open the console lid.
  4. Remove the screws attaching the console to the floor and mounting bracket Floor Console
  5. Disconnect the wire harness connector.
  6. Separate the console from the floor.

1. Position the console on the floor.
  2. Attach the air duct to the air outlet duct.
  3. Connect the wire harness connectors.
  4. Install the screws attaching the console to the mounting bracket.
  5. Install the shift indicator bezels (or cover plate)
  6. Install the shift lever handle/knob.
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
Your last posting did not come through. do you have another question?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This looks like what I've got in the factory manual. Can you confirm my payment was received. I'd be happy to add another $10 for the shop manual information but can you tell me how I can do this without making a doublke payment.
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
Yes your payment came through.and you can just give it as a bonus.