Steve, ASE L1 Master Technician
Experience:  25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician

What size tires would be best for a 1998 Jeep Wrangler, Sierra,

What size tires would be best for a 1998 Jeep Wrangler, Sierra, 4 X 4, 4.0 L, 6 cylinder to tow a camping trailer weighing between 2 - 4,000 lbs?

The correct tire size for your vehicel is determined by the engineers that designed it; tire size is a critical factor for your jeeps braking, steering, suspension, and ABS systems to function as designed. Installing an incorrect tire size can result in poor handling or braking, especially in a panic stop situation.

Most of these models were equipped from the factory with a 225/75R15 tire (check your present tire size as printed on the sidewall, or even better the tire label located in the drivers door jamb to be sure).

A 2000 lb trailer should not have much tongue weight, so installing heavier sidewall truck tires in the same size should not be necessary in this case. I would avoid cheaper chinese made tire brands though, as often teh quality is suspect and you really do not want to risk having a tire failure while towing a trailer down the highway.

I would suggest the Michelin LTX radial for your application. THis is a top quality tire that we ahve had excellent results with in our shop. Our customers that tow trailers and who have commercial vehicles (building contractors, delivery trucks, snow plow trucks) use this tire and love them. They are quiet on the highway, move well in the snow and mud, and are long lasting.

Here is a link to a site where you can see and/or purchase these tires:

I hope this is helpful to you!