George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

where would you find the flasher relay on a jeep liberty 2004

where would you find the flasher relay on a jeep liberty 2004 for turn signals
Category: Jeep
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Your flasher is part of the hazzard switch

COMBINATION FLASHER
The combination flasher for this model is integral to the hazard switch located in the center of the instrument panel, just above the radio. The combination flasher is a smart relay that functions as both the turn signal system and the hazard warning system flasher. The combination flasher contains active electronic Integrated Circuitry (IC) elements. This flasher is designed to handle the current flow requirements of the factory-installed lighting. If supplemental lighting is added to the turn signal lamp circuits, such as when towing a trailer with lights, the combination flasher will automatically try to compensate to keep the flash rate the same.

The combination flasher cannot be repaired or adjusted and, if faulty or damaged, the hazard switch unit must be replaced.

The combination flasher has the following inputs and outputs: fused B(+), fused ignition switch output, right turn signal sense, left turn signal sense, and one output each for the right and left turn signal circuits. The combination flasher also receives an internal input through the closed contacts of the hazard switch and, on vehicles equipped with the optional Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS) , the flasher receives an input from the Body Control Module (BCM) in order to flash the turn signal lamps as an optical alert feature of that system. Constant battery voltage is supplied to the flasher so that it can perform the hazard warning function, and ignition switched battery voltage is supplied for the turn signal function. The Integrated Circuit (IC) within the combination flasher contains the logic that controls the flasher operation and the flash rate. The IC receives separate sense ground inputs from the multi-function switch for the right and left turn signals, and from the hazard switch contacts or the BCM for the hazard warning signals. A special design feature of the combination flasher allows it to sense that a turn signal circuit or bulb is not operating, and provide the driver an indication of the condition by flashing the remaining bulbs in the affected circuit at a higher rate (120 flashes-per-minute or higher). Conventional flashers either continue flashing at their typical rate (heavy-duty type), or discontinue flashing the affected circuit entirely (standard-duty type).

Because of the active electronic elements within the combination flasher, it cannot be tested with conventional automotive electrical test equipment. If the combination flasher is believed to be faulty test the turn signal and hazard warning system. Then replace the hazard switch with a known good unit to confirm system operation.

Let me know if you have questions

Thank you

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ years