Dave, Jeep Master Tech
Experience:  Chrysler Triple Master, ASE master Tech AA degree in Auto.

1987 jeep wrangler: my manual transmission..automatic transmission

I swaped out my manual transmission on my 1987 jeep wrangler with a automatic transmission. Now my starter is hitting my ringgear on the flywheel. I don't know if I have the flywheel on wrong or what. I have looked for a diagram of how it is suposed to be installed but I can't find one. I have asked several mechanics but none of them can tell me. Can you answer this question for me or tell me where I find a diagram of how it goes.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.

hi Terry, the easy part here is the starter hooks up the same way on an auto as it did on the manual. I am sure you have the fly wheel correct because if it were backwards it would rub on the block and/or the alignment with the torque convertor would be off.

The most likely problem is the starter itself being the wrong one now that it is a auto trany. They are different from the one for a manual trany.

You can try shimming it to get a proper fit or purchase one made for the engine you have (4 or 6 cyl.) and the model trany you installed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I contacted the jeep dealer in town, and they said the starter is the same for an automatic and a standard. Also if I turn the flywheel around it does not rub the block. So I am still confused on why the starter rubs the flywheel.
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.

Hi, which motor do you have?

If its the 6 cyl. the starter bolts directly to the bell housing and there should be a plate that is the same size as the bell housing that is sandwiched between the block and the bell housing. I do not think the manual trany has the convertor drive plate so make sure you have it installed. If the plate is in place and the flywheel is in place there is no other conditions that can cause this other then having the wrong flywheel.

If you have the 4 cyl. the starter bolts to the block and there are shims that go between the starter and the block to position it correctly. Again other then that there is no other conditions other then the flywheel that can cause this problem.