Howard
Howard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience in automotive repair; owner of Duncan's Mobile Automotive, LLC for 7 yrs
6712554

I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, and the coolant low

Customer Question

I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, and the "coolant low" message came on. It started making a grinding and boiling water noise. I added the 50/50 coolant, but I poured it in the plastic reservoir and not in the radiator. The message is now gone, but this noise is now louder. what could it be now? are the noises and the coolant being low related? Please help.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Howard replied 8 years ago.

When the engine is cool, you need to add coolant to the radiator. Just filling the plastic reservoir is not sufficient as this is your overflow. Hope this helps! Regards, Howard

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok, will do. But what I want to know is do you think that the coolant is the cause of this awful noise? There is no smoke or anything coming from the engine area, but it does smell a little like burnt rubber.
Expert:  Howard replied 8 years ago.
Ok here's what I would like for you to do. Go out and look at your water pump pulley it's in the center of the engne. See if you can move it from side to side it sounds like your water pump is out. If it is you will need a new water pump and drive belt. I think you are hearing the bearing in the water pump and the burning smell is the belt trying to turn a locked up pulley. Thanks i'll be here let me know
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I checked the pulleys and they are not loose. After I put the coolant in the radiator, the noise stopped....temporarily. Its quiet with the truck running for about five minutes, then it starts with the squeeking noise again.

Expert:  Howard replied 8 years ago.
Ok if all of the pulleys are ok then the squeaking is probably just the belt right?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It seems as if the belt is the squeeking, i think thats it. I used a whole gallon to fill the reservoir up, and later I filled the radiator up with a gallon of coolant. I now notice a puddle of coolant under the car, and I see it dripping. do you think it is because I added too much coolant (2 gallons), or do you think its a leak in the hose?
Expert:  Howard replied 8 years ago.

Try spraying some WD40 on the belt to see if it quiets the noise. Also, it is possible you may have overfilled the coolant. I would take the car for a drive around the block to try to blow off any coolant residue that there may be. Then, when you come back, park the car in a different spot and let it run for 10-15 min and see if you see coolant leaking. If you do, there is a good chance you may have a leak in the hose. Even a pinhole leak can dump copius amounts of fluid :) Try this and get back to me; I'll be here waiting!

Regards, Howard