sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2005 jeep liberty part time transmission stays on. what could

2005 jeep liberty part time transmission stays on. what could be the probles?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you have a gas or diesel engine?

You say the transmision stays on part of the time? Can you elaborate as to what you've got going on?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a gas engine. Last night I put my jeep inXXXXXto get out out some soft dirt. Today the part time transmission light came on and stayed.

Ok, that light is for the transfer case, the four wheel drive. Have you put the shifter back in two wheel drive? If you have, does it still feel like its in four wheel drive when you turn sharp corners? (does it bind up?)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I pushed the shifter all the way back down from four wheel drive. It does feel different while driving but I'm not sure if it feels like four wheel drive. I hadn't tried turning any sharp curves. Just normal and highway driving.
Ok. Try turning sharp corners like in a parking lot. If it feels like its still in four wheel drive, it is. Even if you put the shifter back down it can hang in four wheel drive. Tire circumference differences cause alot of problems like this with this transfer case. If there is any difference in tire size or tire wear it won't disengage properly. You'd have to use a piece of string to measure the actual circumference of the tread to be able to check this. As little as 3/16 or a 1/4" in circumference will cause it. Try to get it on some loose surface. If you can find some gravel, etc, this should probably be loose enough to let it disengage. You can also try some sharp throttle stabs and backing up and going forward to get it to disengage.

If it is actually not in four wheel drive, you may have a wiring problem or a bad switch on the transfer case. This switch turns the light on and off when the transfer case shifts to different modes. These do have a bad switch once in a while.
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure of what you are saying about sharp throttle jabs. But I will try the parking lot exercise tomorrow and let you know the outcome.

Any loose gravel or something like that should hopefully do the trick. By sharp throttle jabs I meant "goosing" it. Roll at a slow speed and give the throttle a quick on/off burst and kind of give the whole Jeep a jerk. This will sometimes work, as will trying to do the same thing in reverse, or go back and forth a little bit from reverse to drive. Try the gravel or dirt first though, that's the best shot you have at getting it to disengage.