vipertech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Jeep factory certified technican

Jeep Interior Lights Wont Turn Off.

Customer Question

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee's interior lights will not go off when I shut the vehicle off and lock the doors. I also noticed that my panic/alarm system is not working. I'm thinking this may have something to do with it. The power windows work.

In the mean time I have had to take the Courtesy Lamp Relay and circuit breaker out to get the lights to go off.

What is the problem?

Category: Jeep
Expert:  vipertech replied 7 years ago.

I need for you to start by pulling back the rubber boot on each of the door opening harness that run from the body to the door.

Inspect to make sure there are no broken wires.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok, I will let you know! Also the remote will lock and unlock the doors but the panic button will not work. Also the little red light on top of the dish does not light up any more. I think this alarm system has something to do with the inside lights not going off after the engine is shut off and the doors locked.

Expert:  vipertech replied 7 years ago.

Let me know about the door wiring and I will reply back with the next possible item to check or the most likely cause.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The door wiring looks to be ok!
Expert:  vipertech replied 7 years ago.

I believe that the most likely cause will be related to one of the door ajar switches. If the switch is causing the issue than the interior light would stay on and the alarm will not arm either.

Door ajar switch causing interior lights to not turn off

There are 5 switches total. One on each of the side doors and one on the rear liftgate.

Door ajar switches on a Jeep

I recommend removing each door switch one at a time and ground the wire going to it and see if the interior lamp eventually goes off. If you locate a switch that eventually turns the light of then you can try to adjust the switch or replace it.

Check the 4 switches and let me know what you find. Don't check the rear hatch at this time.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

All the door switches look fine. Again, while sitting in the jeep, I can turn the ignition to off and the interior lights will come on and do not go off. All doors are shut, locked however the alarm is not working!! The only way to get these lights off right now is pull the Relays and Circuit breakers.

How can I get the Alarm to start working again?

Expert:  vipertech replied 7 years ago.

I believe that I read the switch operation incorrectly. I need for you to disconnect each one and pay attention to the light to see if any change. If still no change and the switches check okay then your next step is to use a scanner. A simple code reader will not work, they only access the engine controller.

You will need either a high dollar scanner or the factory DRBIII scanner. Then you will need to access the theft system in the Body control module. Also make sure to check the other modules to make sure there are no other related codes related to the situation. Otherwise there isn't anything else you can check at this point with out the scanner.