Tom, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, JEEP Master Technician

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee: wont start..even click..full power

My 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee (rocky mountain edition) wont start. It does not even turn over, you just here one click. I have full power to the vehicle too. I have noticed that a few other people on here have had this same problem. Although with mine, if I let it sit for a while like the others have done...mine still wont start. Fuel Pump?? Vehicle has 115K miles on it. I bought it when it had 70k and I have not replaced much on it since.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.

If the vehicle will not turn over, it sounds like either a battery, starter or connection issue. If you are getting a clicking noise, and you have full battery power, I would check the starter. There should be full battery voltagfe on the larger cable and battery voltage on the smaller wire when the key is turned to the start position. If both of these are present, then I would try replacing the starter.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When this all happened...I went out to the vehicle and it started up and then immediately died. I started it up again..which it actually started..but then died immediately again. I did this 3 to 4 times before it stopped starting all together..Now like I said before..I just here one click and then nothing. Still thinking its the starter??
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The battery is at full power. The starter solenoid is not getting power. I can jump the solenoid and get the starter to turn the vehicle over. With the key in the on position and while jumping the solenoid, the vehicle will not actually run though. I DO have fuel pressure, but it seems as though I do not have spark. Again the issue still remains that the solenoid does not get a start signal. All fuses and relays are good. I am leaning towards the theft-deterrant but can not scan the BCM to verify.

Expert:  Tom replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like the SKREEM module (the theft deterrent system) has locked up. This occurs after 3 start attempts with a fault with the system, This can be caused by a bad ignition key, receiver or possibly a module. If you have another key, put it in the ignition and turn it to the run position and leave it there for 2 hours. This will reset the module and if the key is good the vehicle should start.