Mark
Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician
Experience:  Jeep factory training........25 years in the industry.
12104952

2000 jeep wrangler: brake light..the pedal..lights work..turn signal

I have a 2000 jeep wrangler with brake light failure both sides. I have replaced the lamps the switch at the pedal and the fuse still no brake lights all other aspects of the lights work, turn signal etc.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mark replied 5 years ago.
Do you have a volt meter to do some tests?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Mark replied 5 years ago.

Ok, the brake switch is midway in the circuit, so lets start there and see which way we need to go.

The pink wire with a dark blue tracer should have 12 volts on it all the time.

With the connector plugged into the switch, probe the backside of the connector and tell me if you have 12 volts on the white/tan wire with the brake pdeal depressed.

One other question.....does the high mounted......or third brake light work?

BRAKE LAMP SWITCH - GRAY 6 WAY
CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION
1K29 20WT/PKBRAKE LAMP SWITCH SENSE
2Z1 20BKGROUND
3V32 20YL/RDSPEED CONTROL ON/OFF SWITCH SENSE
4V30 20DB/RDSPEED CONTROL BRAKE LAMP SWITCH OUTPUT
5F32 19PK/DBFUSED B(+)
6L50 18WT/TNBRAKE LAMP SWITCH OUTPUT

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mark unfortunately I have to leave now something has come up how can we continue this later
Expert:  Mark replied 5 years ago.
Just reply to this question and I will see it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So I can come back to this later like tomorrow? I can't run the volt test right now, The third light and mounting was removed years ago to fit the spare tire

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mark, I have found this additonal information. The lead is hot into and out of the switch. If I put a volt meter on the leads for the missing 3rd light it responds with the brake pedal. If I plug into the trailer hitch leads I get the same result all lights except for the brake lights. This jeep had been wired to be towed as well as to tow a vehicle. Your thoughts?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is this still working?
Expert:  Mark replied 5 years ago.

Ok, good. So the brake light switch is working.

From the brake light switch, the wire goes to the multi-function switch on the steering column.......this is your turn signal switch. You will need to test the wire at the switch to see if you power in and out of the switch.

Test the white/tan wire at the switch to see if the power is going in and then test the dark green/red and brown/red wires to see if the power is coming out of the switch.

Experience: Jeep factory training........25 years in the industry.