sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2003 jeep liberty: the battery light came..started smoking..gauge

I have a 2003 jeep liberty and while I was driving the battery light came on, then it started smoking, and my heat went cold, and I heard a funny noise and I made it to my house, but by then it was really hot on the gauge thing.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds like you either lost your belt or it was slipping. Its very likely that you have a water pump leaking. This would cause the belt to slip or come off, causing the battery light to come on because the alternator isn't spinning. The heat wasn't working because you were out of coolant, the same reason it was overheating. The smoke you saw was actually steam from the hot coolant leaking out onto the engine.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

okay, thankyou...

about how much would that cost? oh and it has 77,000 miles on it.

The pump costs right at $75 for the factory pump, and it calls for 1.4 hours of labor to replace it, plus you would need about a gallon, maybe two, of coolant.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thankyou thats not to bad. I will just goto sears tomorrow

You're welcome, and good luck. Make sure if the engine is overheating that you don't drive it there, you'd want to have it towed. Driving it with the engine overheating will do catastrophic engine damage.