moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Chrysler Dodge Jeep Master Tech

93 Jeep Wrangler: A/C. My charging system..drained..alternator

Hi, I have a 93 Jeep Wrangler with a 4.0 liter, 6 cylinder engine and A/C.   My charging system stopped working and drained down the battery.    I had the battery tested and it tested good (Advance Auto).    I bought and installed a new alternator.    The serpentine belt is routed correctly and I have checked the Maxi fuses located near the battery.   I was able to jump start my Jeep with an external power pack, but the battery is still not being charged.    I am currently charging the battery using a trickle charger.    I understand for my model year Jeep, the voltage regulator is located in the alternator, so I'm guessing it good.     What is left for me to check?    Thanks, Frank
The voltage regulator is built into the eng computer.And most likely this is your problem.If you have voltage to the big wire on the alternator with the eng off.then either the small wires going to the alternator are broken or the eng computer is bad and will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My Haynes manual and Chilton manual both say the voltage regulator is inside

the alternator. Anyway, you also said you thought the small wires could be

bad. As it turns out they were the problem, but only because I had not tightened

the small nuts to hold the contacts tight. I'm going to accept your answer.

The main components of the alternator are the rotor, stator, rectifier, end shields and drive pulley. Direct current is available at the output "B+" terminal.
Alternator output is controlled by voltage regulator circuitry contained within the power and logic modules of the Engine Controller.