josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase mastertech and jeep mastertech 12 years dealer experience

Jeep: stall..Has happened 10-15 times..somtimes

My jeep will stall all the time now. Has happened 10-15 times. Goes days without a problem but somtimes will just shut down. Hot or cold. The RPM's will drop and the engine will shut off. Replaced wires,plugs,Dis cap and rotor. Had the ASD relay replaced and the mechanic thought that would fix it but to no avail. Next he wants to replace the PCM. Have seen online many people with the same problem but no fixes. I'm running out of money. Please give me some insight as to what is happining to all these Jeeps. I love my jeep!!!
Category: Jeep
Expert:  josh replied 7 years ago.
Have you had the codes checked,also do you see the rpms go to zero before the engine shuts off?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
mechanic said there are codes indicated but he needed to look them up. And the RPM drop to zero. Sometimes it will sputter just a second or two before it shuts off. And sometime it will sputter and seem like it is going to die but then rpm's shoot back up and all is fine. It is very strange. After it stalled last week I pulled one of the spark plug wire and put an old spark plug in it and there was no spark. Don't know if that will help
Expert:  josh replied 7 years ago.
The codes would tell you where to start but if it were mine I would replace the crank sensor but you need to know the codes first.The crank sensor sends the engine rpm signal and will kill the engine if it fails.If the rpms are going before it quits could be a good indication the crank sensor is failing.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
do you mean the Crankshaft Position Sensor? If so Thanks I hope this fixes it.