Derrick
Derrick, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.-Automotive Analysis A6-Electrical A8/L1-Engine Performance Cert., CA Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech

How to remove heater core on 95 jeep grand cherokee

Category: Jeep
Expert:  Derrick replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

Here are the step by step directions as well as a few pictures to help you out:

HEATER-A/C HOUSING

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system as described in this group.
  3. Disconnect the refrigerant lines from the evaporator tubes. Install plugs in, or tape over all of the open refrigerant fittings.
  4. Drain the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System for the procedures.
  5. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes.
  6. Remove the coolant reserve/overflow bottle.
  7. Remove the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and set it aside. Do not unplug the PCM wire harness connectors.
  8. Remove the heater-A/C housing mounting nuts from the studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel.
  9. Remove the instrument panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Systems for the procedures.
  10. Disconnect the rear floor heat duct from the center adaptor
  11. Unplug the heater-A/C housing wire harness connectors.
  12. Remove the heater-A/C housing mounting nuts from the studs on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel
  13. Remove the heater-A/C housing from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION

1. Position the heater-A/C housing to the dash panel. Be sure the drain tube is positioned in the dash panel drain hole.
  2. Install the mounting nuts to the studs on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nuts to 4.5 N·m (40 in. lbs.)
  3. Install the mounting nuts to the studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nuts to 7 N·m (60 in. lbs.)
  4. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core tubes.
  5. Unplug or remove the tape from the refrigerant fittings, and connect the refrigerant lines to the evaporator tubes.
  6. Install the coolant reserve/overflow bottle.
  7. Install the PCM.
  8. Connect the rear floor heat duct to the center adaptor. Check that the carpet is not interfering with any duct outlets.
  9. Plug in the heater-A/C housing wire harness connectors.
  10. Install the instrument panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Systems for the procedures.
  11. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System for the procedures.
  12. Evacuate and charge the refrigerant system as described in this group.
  13. Connect the battery negative cable.
  14. Start the vehicle and check for proper operation of the heating and air conditioning systems.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Derrick, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: A.S.-Automotive Analysis A6-Electrical A8/L1-Engine Performance Cert., CA Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech