david
david, Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Duty Repair Mechanic Extensive knowledge repairing and rebilding engines, transmissions

2001 jeep grand cherokee. Intermited problem with turn signals,

2001 jeep grand cherokee. Intermited problem with turn signals, what could be the cause?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  david replied 5 years ago.

Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

There have been lots of problems with the grand cherokee signals Intimately working then not.

A lot or the problems can be teased to the turn signal switch / multifunction switch or the hazard light switch, it can also be the turn signals flasher.

But lets start with your sometimes what is happening with your turn signals?

Expert:  david replied 5 years ago.
What are the turn signals doing or not doing Intimately?
david, Mechanic
Experience: Heavy Duty Repair Mechanic Extensive knowledge repairing and rebilding engines, transmissions
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Every once in a while they stop workin but the hazards always work.
Expert:  david replied 5 years ago.

Vary common problem this is the signal switch / multifunction switch that has failed.

There is a trick you can try till you get around to replacing the switch.

With the turn signal on "like when you are making turn" turn on the hazard for one blink.

The turn signals will work for a short time.

In some rare cases this can traced to a faulty turn signal flasher i would change the flasher first just because it is the essayer of the two to change. and if you are replacing the turn signal switch it is a good idea to replace the flasher.

The flasher is located in junction block (fuse panel) Front seating area, driver side, under dash, The factory flasher is light blue.

graphic

Simply pull out the old one and push in the new one.

Removal & Installation

multi-function switch

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
    Wait two minutes for the airbag system reserve capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service.
  2. From below the steering column, remove the three screws that secure the lower steering column shroud to the multi-function switch mounting housing.
  3. Using hand pressure, push gently inward on both sides of the upper shroud near the parting line between the upper and lower shrouds to release the snap features that secure the two shroud halves together.
  4. Remove both the upper and lower shrouds from the steering column.
  5. Remove the Steering Control Module (SCM) from the steering column.
  6. Remove the two screws that secure the left multifunction switch to the SCM .
  7. Disengage the two retaining tabs , next to the screw mounts that secure the left multi-function switch to the SCM.
  8. Disconnect the left multi-function switch from the SCM.

To install:

1. Position the left multi-function switch onto position on the Steering Control Module (SCM) .
  2. Engage the two retaining tabs, next to the screw mounts that secure the left multi-function switch and firmly snap into place.
  3. Install the two screws that secure the left multifunction switch to the SCM. Tighten the screws to 22 inch lbs. (2.5 Nm).
  4. Position the lower steering column shroud to the underside of the steering column.
  5. Install the three screws that secure the lower steering column shroud to the multi-function switch mounting housing. Tighten the screws to 17 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
  6. Position the upper column shroud over the steering column with the hazard warning switch button inserted through the hole in the upper shroud.
  7. Align the snap features on the upper and lower shrouds and apply hand pressure to snap them together.
  8. Reconnect the battery negative cable.

Hope this helps

Good luck