Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

What does it mean when your brake and ABS light comes on?

What does it mean if my ABS and Brake light comes on my console?

Category: Jeep
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

This means that the the CAB (controller antilock brake) has detected a fault in the ABS system. There are several components that make up the ABS system including the ABS wheel speed sensors, the CAB unit, the hydraulic unit, wiring harness and connectors. In order to determine what the problem is, the ABS system has to be read with a diagnostic scanner with ABS capabilities.

Unless the hydraulic unit is leaking (which would give you a soft brake pedal or pedal going to the floor), most of the time when this lights are on it means that the ABS system is not working - in other words your brakes are like older pre-ABS vehicles in that the brakes can lock up if you slam on the brakes during an emergency stop.