Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector, Assistant Service Manager
Experience:  ASE Certified Parts and Service Specialist
10675526

2008 JEEP COMPASS: DROVE..TURN KEY LIGHTS CAME ON ON DASH..CAR WONT

Customer Question

2008 JEEP COMPASS IMMOBILIZED.    DROVE CAR TO STORE WAS FINE, CAME BACK HOME, WENT TO LEAVE AGAIN UNLOCK WITH REMOTE PUT KEY IN IGNITION, TURN KEY LIGHTS CAME ON ON DASH, BUT CAR WON'T START.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Your Auto Inspector replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer. I would be glad to assist you.

Does the engine turn over when you try to start the vehicle?

Thanks again for using Just Answer.

There is a current Technical Service Bulletin for your vehicle regarding the antitheft system in reguards to failure of the wireless control module. This will be repaired by Jeep at no charge to you. I have included the information below:

NUMBER: 08-007-08 REV. A

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: July 04,2008

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 08-007-08, DATED MARCH 04, 2008. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.

DO NOT ORDER PART NUMBER 05026070AP UNTIL JULY 21, 2008. ALL OTHER PART NUMBERS ARE AVAILABLE NOW.

SUBJECT:
No Engine Crank Or No Engine Start Due To Electronic Lockup Of The WCM / SKREEM

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the Wireless Control Module (WCM), and if equipped, the replacement of the Electric Steering Column Lock (ELV). The WCM is also referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM).

MODELS:

2007 - 2008 (DR/DH/D1/DC/DM)Ram Truck (1500/2500/3500/4500/5500) 2007 - 2008 (JK) Wrangler 2007 - 2008 (J1) Sebring (China) 2007 - 2008 (JS) Avenger/Sebring 2007 - 2008 (KA) Nitro 2008 (KK) Liberty/Cherokee 2007 - 2008 (MK) Compass/Patriot 2007 - 2008 (PM) Caliber 2006 - 2008 (PT) Chrysler PT Cruiser

NOTE :This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before May 05, 2008 (MDH 0505XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer will experience a no engine crank AND a no engine start condition. Also, the remote keyless entry (RKE) system will not operate. This condition may be due to an electrostatic discharge (ESD) from the ignition key into the Wireless Control Module (WCM), causing the WCM to electronically lockup. This condition may occur more frequently in dry and/or cold weather conditions where a sufficient electrostatic charge is more easily produced. This condition is corrected by the replacement of the WCM.

DIAGNOSIS:

1.With the condition present (i.e. the vehicle in the no crank / no start condition), connect the StarSCAN(R) scan tool to the vehicle.

2.Turn the ignition switch to the "ON position, and power up the StarSCAN(R).

3.If the WCM is electronically locked up, the StarSCAN(R) will display the WCM as being "off bus".

4.If the no crank / no start condition is present, and the WCM is "off bus", then reset the WCM by temporarily removing the IOD fuse (with the key out of the ignition switch), wait for 10 seconds and then reinstall the IOD fuse.

5.With the IOD fuse reset having been performed, verify that the vehicle will now crank, start, and run.

6.If the condition is temporarily corrected by performing the above steps, and if the part number of the WCM is earlier than the part number of the WCM listed in the part reference table in the Service Bulletin Parts Required Section below, then perform the Repair Procedure.