Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

how do i get to my heater core 97 jeep wrangler

Category: Jeep
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

The instrument panel has to be removed to access the heater core:

• Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  • Disconnect and remove the negative battery. CAUTION After disconnecting the negative battery cable, wait 2 minutes for the driver's/passenger's air bag system capacitor to discharge before attempting to do any work around the steering column or instrument.
  • Drain the cooling system into a clean container for reuse.
  • Remove the instrument panel by performing the following procedure:
    1. Turn the steering wheel in the straight-ahead position.
    2. Remove the knee blocker from the instrument panel.
    3. Remove the steering column; do not remove the air bag module, the steering wheel or switches from the steering column.
    4. From under the driver's side of the instrument panel, disconnect the following items:
      • Instrument panel wiring harness connector from the 100-way wiring harness connector at the left side of the inner panel.
      • Side window demister hose at the heater/air conditioning housing demister/defroster duct on the driver's side.
    5. Remove the glove box.
    6. Reaching through the glove box opening, disconnect the following items:
      • Two halves of the heater/air conditioning system vacuum harness connector.
      • Instrument panel wiring harness connector from the heater/air conditioning system wiring harness connector.
      • Instrument panel wiring harness connector from the passenger's side air bag module wiring harness connector.
      • Side window demister hose at the heater/air conditioning housing demister/defroster duct (passenger's side).
      • Two halves of the radio antenna coaxial cable connector.
      • Two instrument panel wiring harness connectors from the passenger air bag ON/OFF switch wiring harness connector.
      • Passenger's side air bag ON/OFF switch wiring harness from the retainer clip on the plenum bracket that supports the heater/air conditioning housing just inboard of the fuse block module.
      • Two lower passenger's side air bag module bracket-to-dash panel nuts.
    7. Remove the upper cover from the instrument panel.
    8. Remove the 3 instrument panel-to-door hinge pillar screws.
    9. Remove the 4 upper instrument panel-to-dash nuts.
    10. Using an assistant, remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.
  • If equipped with air conditioning, discharge and recover the air conditioning system refrigerant.
  • Disconnect the refrigerant lines from the evaporator. Plug the refrigerant openings to prevent evaporation.
  • Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes.
  • Disconnect the heater/air conditioning system vacuum supply line connector from the T-fitting near the heater core tubes.
  • In the engine compartment, remove the 5 heater/air conditioning housing-to-chassis nuts. If necessary, loosen the battery hold-downs and reposition the battery for access.
  • Remove the cowl plenum drain tube from the heater/air conditioning housing stud; it's located behind the cylinder head on the cowl.
  • From the bottom of the heater/air conditioning housing, remove the floor duct.
  • On the passenger side, remove the heater/air conditioning housing-to-plenum bracket screw.
  • Pull the heater/air conditioning housing down far enough to clear the defrost/demist and fresh air ducts, then, rearward far enough to clear the mounting studs and the evaporator drain tube to clear the dash panel holes.
  • Remove the heater/air conditioning housing assembly from the vehicle.
  • Remove the heater/air conditioning housing upper case.
  • Lift the heater core from the lower half of the heater/air conditioning housing.
  •  

graphic

graphic

graphic

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.