Paul Y
Paul Y, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master over 20 years exp.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee: interior lights..dim headlights..dash lights

Customer Question

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Hemi engine will not start. Exterior and interior lights are not dim headlights are as bright as when under power and radio works-not likely battery. Clicking heard at attempt to start and dash lights blink out when key is fully turned to start. Got message that "electronic brake needs service" but that may not be exactly what was displayed as I have not seen it again. Vehicle has about 36.6K miles. Suspect solenoid or starter may be bad-any other suggestions? No previous trouble or indication of trouble before.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Paul Y replied 7 years ago.

I would say that you are correct to suspect starter. i have replaced a few in the hemi Grand Cherokee. You could try hitting the starter with hammer while someone cranks it.If it starts you know it's the starter. If this does not work you can take a 12volt test light and check large wire at starter for voltage and then check small wire I believe it is yellow on that vehicle for voltage while someone cranks it over. If both of the wires have voltage then it is a starter.I hope this helps Paul

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the response. Good to have some confirmation of the problem. Fortunately its underan extended warranty which includes towing so I'll get it to the dealership.
Expert:  Paul Y replied 7 years ago.
I am glad I could help.Please remember to press accept and leave me feedback thank you Paul