Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician
Experience:  Jeep factory training........25 years in the industry.

2001 Jeep Wrangler: wont start..clutch..starter solenoid..screwdriver

My 2001 Jeep Wrangler with standard transmission won't start with the key but will start when push started & clutch is let out. By crossing the starter solenoid with screwdriver, the starter engages. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to JA my name is Mark.

There are a couple of fuses involved in the starter motor circuit. One is fuse #6....40 amp in the underhood fuse box.

The second is in the inside fuse box and it is a 20 amp.

Be sure and check both of these fuses. If they are OK then the next likely culprit is the switch on the cluch pedal. Here is a diagram for you...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for answering! I checked the 40 amp fuse which is operable, and checked continuity on the clutch pedal switch to determine it was fine also. Didn't know about the 20 amp inside nor do I know where that fuse box is - is it behind the glove box?

Yes it is.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hey Mark,

I checked the 20A fuse in the glove box along with every other fuse there, and they are all good. Do we look at the Starter Relay next? If so, how? Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Ok, do you have a volt meter to do some testing?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes, but won't be able to test anything until tomorrow.

Don't know if this has any bearing but for about a week before this problem occurred I would put the key into the ignition and turn it when nothing would happen. I would then push the key in another millimeter or so, turn it over, and then it would start.

Thanks again.

The system is preventing me from providing an answer for you. I have requested they look into it........maybe a software bug?

I'll get back asap.