Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Mechanic
Experience:  Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ABS light..the footwell fuse panel

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the ABS light has come on. When I started the car it did not initially come on but after perhaps 30-50 seconds. I have removed the fused in the footwell fuse panel overnight and this has reset the problem. On restarting the car the same situation occured with the light coming on after 30-50 seconds. Is there any diagnostics I can perform with a voltmeter? Are then any relays in the Fuse panel associated with the ABS. The owners guide does not give any functions for the fuse panel relays. Could this be provided to me. If it is a Jeep garage repair is there a diagnostic tool and what time is involved.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 5 years ago.

When the ignition switch is in the START or RUN position, it connects circuit thru fuse 8 in the Power Distribution Center (PDC). Also powers circuit through fuse 5 in the junction block.

Circuit fuse 5 in the junction block provides power for the ABS warning lamp in the instrument cluster. Ground for the ABS warning lamp is provided by the Controller, Anti-Lock Brakes (CAB) . The CAB illuminates the lamp by providing ground.

ABS Light Test:

1. Check the fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 2. If not OK, replace the faulty fuse.
  2. With the ignition switch in the On position, check for battery voltage at the fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 3. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the ignition switch as required.
  3. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the instrument cluster bezel and the cluster assembly.
  4. Connect the battery negative cable. Check for battery voltage between the fused ignition switch output circuit and the ABS warning lamp driver circuit cavities of the cluster wire harness connector within five seconds of turning the ignition switch to the On position. If OK, replace the faulty bulb. If not OK, go to Step 5.
  5. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Unplug the Controller Anti-lock Brake (CAB) wire harness connector. Check for continuity between the ABS warning lamp driver circuit cavity of the cluster wire harness connector and a good ground. There should be no continuity. If OK, go to Step 6. If not OK, repair the short circuit as required.
  6. Check for continuity between the ABS warning lamp driver circuit cavities of the cluster wire harness connector and the CAB wire harness connector. There should be continuity
    If OK, Brake diagnosis of the CAB will be needed.
    If not OK, repair the open circuit as required.

Scan Tool:

1. Connect the Data Readout Box (DRB) to the data link connector located under the dash to the left of the steering column. If the DRB does not power up, check the power and ground supplies to the connector.
  2. Select "Anti-lock Brakes". Turn the ignition on.
  3. Read and record all ABS diagnostic trouble codes. If the "Controller Antilock Brake (CAB) Power Feed Circuit" trouble code is present, it must be repaired prior the addressing any other Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) .

Dealer or Reputable Brake Shop should be able to Test & give you estimate.
Book calls for apprx 1 hour for testing