stevets 61
stevets 61, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 years at Chrysler/jeep dealership experience - ASE master certified/jeep certified
12105596

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L. Starts, but wont idle, stalls

Customer Question

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L. Starts, but won't idle, stalls as soon as you take foot off gas. Cleaned the throttle plate, no difference. Can't find the EGR valve. A bit lost here. Help greatly apprecaited
Category: Jeep
Expert:  stevets 61 replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

What have you done to try to fix the problem? Has the battery been replaced?

Thanks for using JustAnswer,Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bettery is fine. Car starts right up, and when you take your foot off the gas the motor stops running. There appears to be a malfunction in whatever makes a jeep idle. Ideas?

Hi tkleinfelter,

There is a bulletin for a startup idle problem and it requires the power train control module to be reprogrammed.And if your vehicle is under 8 years and 80,000 miles the repair is free at the dealership.Here is how it reads.

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control

Module (PCM) with new software (Cal level 00Cal15C.).

MODELS:

2000 (TJ) Wrangler

2000 (WJ) Grand Cherokee

2000 (XJ) Cherokee

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 4.0L (ERH)

ENGINE, CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS (NAE), AND CALIBRATION LEVEL PRIOR TO

(LESS OR LOWER THAN) THAT LISTED IN THE OVERVIEW ABOVE.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Some vehicle engines may exhibit a rough idle and/or MIL light "on" condition upon initial

start-up after a cold soak when temperatures are below 50 F (10 C).

There is also a possiblity that your "IAC" idle air control valve is stuck or binding.You can remove it from the throttle body and clean it with carb cleaner and try that.But usually they need to be replaced.

Thanks for using JustAnswer, Steve

If I answered your question please accept.

If not please ask more questions. Happy holidays

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Steve,

I'm intriqued by the IAC issue - it's too dark out now to check it out, but I will tomorrow and let you know. I appreciate your time and efforts.

As for the service bulletin - I'll look into that next. I hve a 2000 Cherokee Sport with 153,000 miles on it; way out of warranty, so I'm going to look into the IAC.

I'll let you know tomorrow or Tuesday latest about accepting your reply or working towards a different possible solution. Thank you

Trish Kleinfelder

Trish,

With that many miles you will probably have to replace the iac,But cleaning it and trying is cheap.

Thanks and let me know,Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Steve,

I'm having the IAC checked in the next day or so (husband is too busy at work to do it right now). I will most likely acept your answer in a day or two, but if the IAC isn't the problem, I might need more advice!

Thanks,
Trish

hiCustomer

That sounds great.Thanks for keeping in touch.

Steve

stevets 61, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10 years at Chrysler/jeep dealership experience - ASE master certified/jeep certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Steve,

Well, I thin you were right - we cleaned the IAC and now it's working fine. Fingers are crossed that this problem is 'History" ... thanks so much for your help and your patience. Trish