Derrick
Derrick, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.-Automotive Analysis A6-Electrical A8/L1-Engine Performance Cert., CA Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech
7680243

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee: tail light goes out when brake is depressed

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee -- tail light goes out when brake is depressed. Changed the light bulb but that did not fix the problem
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Derrick replied 8 years ago.

Hi there,

This is a relatively common problem on these Jeeps. You have a short in your taillamp housing. Remove your taillamp housing and twist the affected bulb socket until your light begins working. This is a temporary fix, but your problem will return.

The only complete repair is to replace the taillamp housing assembly with a new one. The new one will come with new bulbs and sockets so you just have to plug it in.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The style of tail lamp I have the bulbs are on wireless plugs that are screwed into the tail lamp. You cannot twist the bulb until it works since it is wireless. When the plug is screwed into the tail lamp and twisted the contacts on the wireless plug and tail lamp line up.
Expert:  Derrick replied 8 years ago.

I said to twist the bulb socket, not the bulb. You will find that they will start working, but only temporary. You can try and bend the metal tabs, but it is only a temporry fix.

THe correct fix is to replace the taillamp assembly.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
When you say "tail lamp assembly" is that the tail light? Or is that the plug that goes into the tail light. See this link..is this what I need?

http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepartment/Tail_Light/JEEP/CHEROKEE?source=cj

Expert:  Derrick replied 8 years ago.

Yes,

That is it, and that is a relatively good deal, the dealer wants over $100 for it.

Replace that nad you will be good to go.

P.S. Parts train will spam your mailbox all the time, so if you have a spam email you use, use it.