Derrick
Derrick, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.-Automotive Analysis A6-Electrical A8/L1-Engine Performance Cert., CA Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech

Can the crankshaft of a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 litre

Customer Question

Can the crankshaft of a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 litre be removed without pulling the motor and a new kit installed ? Can it be pulled from underneath and can the trans be disconnected without total Removal also
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

2000 Jeep grand cherokee 4.7 L

Already Tried:
I have started to pull the oil pan and main cove and drop the y pipe? Want to be sure that can replace crank and bearings from underneath without pulling the motor.
Expert:  Derrick replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

Unfortunately, the engine must be removed to remove the crankshaft and replace the main bearings.

Here are the step by step directions to help you out:

REMOVAL

NOTE: To remove the crankshaft from the engine, the engine must be removed from the vehicle.

1. Remove the engine.
  2. Remove the engine oil pump. (picture below) CAUTION: DO NOT pry on the oil pan gasket when removing the oil pan, The oil pan gasket is mounted to the cylinder block in three locations and will remain attached to block when removing oil pan. Gasket can not be removed with oil pan.
  3. Remove oil pan bolts and oil pan.
  4. Remove the oil pump pickup tube and oil pan gasket /windage tray.
  5. Remove the bedplate mounting bolts. Note the location of the three stud bolts for installation.
  6. Remove the connecting rods from the crankshaft

CAUTION: The bedplate to cylinder block mating surface is a critical sealing surface. Do not pry on or damage this surface in anyway.

NOTE: The bedplate contains the lower main bearing halves. Use care when handling bedplate as not to drop or damage bearing halves. Installing main bearing halves in the wrong position will cause sever damage to the crankshaft.

NOTE: The bedplate has pry points cast into it. Use these points only. The pry points are on both the left and right sides, only the left side is shown.

7. Carefully pry on the pry points to loosen the bedplate then remove the bedplate.

CAUTION: When removing the crankshaft, use care not to damage bearing surfaces on the crankshaft.

8. Remove the crankshaft.
  9. Remove the crankshaft tone wheel.

INSPECTION

NOTE: Thoroughly inspect the connecting rod bearing bores and main bearing bores for scoring, blueing or severe scratches. Further disassembly may be required.

If connecting rod bearing bores show damage, the cylinder heads must be removed to service the piston and rod assemblies. If the bedplate or the cylinder block main bearing bores show damage the engine must be replaced.

1. If required, remove the main bearing halves from the cylinder block and bedplate.
  2. Thoroughly clean the bedplate to cylinder block sealing surfaces and main bearing bores. Remove all oil and sealant residue.
  3. Inspect the bedplate main bearing bores for cracks, scoring or severe blueing. If either condition exists the engine must be replaced.
  4. Inspect the crankshaft thrust washer for scoring, scratches or blueing. If either condition exist replace the thrust washer.
  5. Inspect the oil pan gasket/windage tray for splits, tears or cracks in the gasket sealing surfaces. Replace gasket as necessary

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a manual out there I can purchase that gives full diagrams and specs for this project. I am old school engines and autos not these newer models. Money is extremely tight so I am going to have to do it myself. Do you know where i can purchase such a manual and the name of it. Thank you in advance for your time. Gregg Wheeler
Expert:  Derrick replied 5 years ago.

Gregg,

The best manual would be the one from the Jeep parts department.

It will be expensive, but very comprehensive.

Your next best ption is to get a generic one from an auto parts store (chilton, haynes, etc...). These manuals will be less comprehensive but they will help.

If you need anything specific, just let me know and I will see if I can get it for you so you dont need to buy a manual.

Let me know if you need anything!

Thank you,

Derrick

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am going to need something that obviously has torque specs disassmbly and assembly procedures. I have found a manual realtively inexpensive for a 5.2 that has alot of pertinent info are they the same basic engine paltform or not? Would any jeep dealer have this in stock or would it need to be ordered. I want to do this right. I have also discovered that this is a ongoing problem with these motors. Oil sludging up and then severe motor damage as a result. Is there something than can be done to help the oiling system some special machine work like cross drilling the crank and honing out oil passages etc. or are there any aftermarket items from mopar or direct connection that would help. My main concern is all the sensors and wires and sending units what to remove and not remove during R & R process. Thank i look forward to your reply any additional info would be appreciated to make this a smooth transition. Also once I star this project is there a way to contact you direct through this service so that i am not having to refresh the situation with someone new all the time.

Gregg Wheeler

Expert:  Derrick replied 5 years ago.

Gregg,

First of all, you just need to reply to this and I will be notified to respond.

With regards XXXXX XXXXX manuals, I would stick with the 4.7 manual, not the 5.2. They are similar, but I would not trust all the torque specs.

With regards XXXXX XXXXX oil buildup problems, I would just make sure to change the oil every 2K-3K miles once the engine is in to prevent any sludge issues.

You will need to call the local Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge parts department to see if they have a manual in stock for your Jeep.

Let me know of any questions you have along the way!

Thanks,

Derrick