Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector, Assistant Service Manager
Experience:  ASE Certified Parts and Service Specialist
10675526

2003 Grand Cherokee: s power seat will move..wont move..move forward

2003 Grand Cherokee driver's power seat will move up and down but won't move forward or back. Actually, if you hit the switch 6 or 8 times it will scoot forward a little forward. another 6 to 8 times and it will scoot again. Same with going back.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Your Auto Inspector replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer. I would be glad to assist you.

You need to begin by testing the switch with an ohmmeter. Here is the procedure below:

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the power seat switch from the outboard seat cushion side shield.

graphic

• On models with the ten-way power seat system only using a push pin remover or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool, gently pry the power seat and power recliner switch knobs off of the switch stems.
  • Remove the three screws that secure the outboard seat cushion side shield to the seat cushion frame.
  • Pull the outboard seat cushion side shield away from the seat cushion frame far enough to access the power seat switch wire harness connector.
  • Disconnect the power seat wire harness connector from the power seat switch connector receptacle.
  • Remove the two screws that secure the power seat switch to the inside of the outboard seat cushion side shield or.
  • Remove the power seat switch from the outboard seat cushion side shield.
  • graphic

Switch Test Procedure

1. Use an ohmmeter to test the continuity of the power seat switch in each switch position. See the Power Seat Switch Continuity chart or. If OK, refer to Diagnosis and Testing Power Seat Track or Diagnosis and Testing Power Seat Recliner in this section. If not OK, replace the faulty power seat switch.

graphic

graphic

Seat Track Test Procedure

Following are tests that will help to diagnose the hard wired components and circuits of the power seat system. However, if the vehicle is also equipped with the optional memory system, these tests may not prove conclusive in the diagnosis of the driver side power seat. In order to obtain conclusive testing of the driver side power seat with the memory system option, the Programmable Communications Interface (PCI) data bus network and all of the electronic modules that provide inputs to, or receive outputs from the memory system components must be checked.

The most reliable, efficient, and accurate means to diagnose the driver side power seat with the memory system option requires the use of a DRB scan tool and the proper Diagnostic Procedures. The DRB scan tool can provide confirmation that the PCI data bus is functional, that all of the electronic modules are sending and receiving the proper messages on the PCI data bus, and that the memory system is receiving the proper hard wired inputs and relaying the proper hard wired outputs to perform its driver side power seat functions.

Actuate the power seat switch to move all three power seat track adjusters in each direction. The power seat track adjusters should move in each of the selected directions. If a power seat track adjuster fails to operate in only one direction, move the adjuster a short distance in the opposite direction and test again to be certain that the adjuster is not at its travel limit. If the power seat track adjuster still fails to operate in only one direction, refer to Power Seat Switch Diagnosis and Testing in this group. If the power seat track adjuster fails to operate in more than one direction, perform the following tests. For complete circuit diagrams, refer to Wiring Diagrams.

1. Check the power seat circuit breaker in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 2. If not OK, replace the faulty power seat circuit breaker.
    2. Check for battery voltage at the power seat circuit breaker in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 3. If not OK, repair the open fused B(+) circuit to the fuse in the Power Distribution Center as required.
    3. Remove the outboard seat cushion side shield from the seat. Disconnect the seat wire harness connector from the power seat switch connector receptacle. Check for battery voltage at the fused B(+) circuit cavity of the power seat wire harness connector for the power seat switch. If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, repair the open fused B(+) circuit to the power seat circuit breaker in the junction block as required.
    4. Check for continuity between the ground circuit cavity of the power seat wire harness connector for the power seat switch and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to Step 5. If not OK, repair the open ground circuit to ground as required.
    5. Test the power seat switch. Refer to Power Seat Switch Diagnosis and Testing in this group. If the switch tests OK, test the circuits of the power seat wire harness between the inoperative power seat track adjuster motor and the power seat switch for shorts or opens. If the circuits check OK, replace the faulty power seat track unit. If the circuits are not OK, repair the power seat wire harness as required.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.

Experience: ASE Certified Parts and Service Specialist