Dave, Jeep Master Tech
Experience:  Chrysler Triple Master, ASE master Tech AA degree in Auto.

2003 Jeep Liberty: the parking brake is not adjusted..slight..lever

How do you adjust the parking brakes on a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport?I have put new parking shoes on a month ago and now the parking brake is not adjusted. I tried turning the star wheel until I felt a slight drag but when parking brake is applied the wheel still turns.and stays hard to turn even after releasing the lever. I loosened the star wheels over and over again and tightened them over and over again. Still no luck. Is there anothe point of adjustment?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.

Hi, i am sending you the proper procedures for adjusting the parking brake system. If after adjusting them they still don't seem to hold the vehicle then verify that when you set the parking brake with the handle you can actually see it expanding the brake shoes. If the brake shoes do not expand then the problem would be in the cables and handle. If the shoes do expand make sure the mating surface on the drum part of the rotor is clean, smooth and dry.

I hope this information is helpful and if so please choose to accept.

Thanks Dave

Under normal circumstances, the only time adjustment is required is when the shoes are replaced, removed for access to other parts, or when one or both rotors are replaced.
Adjustment can be made with a standard brake gauge or with adjusting tool. Adjustment is performed with the complete brake assembly installed on the backing plate.

CAUTION: Before adjusting the park brake shoes be sure that the park brake pedal is in the fully released position. If park brake pedal is not in the fully released position, the park brake shoes can not be accurately adjusted.

1. Raise vehicle.
  2. Remove tire and wheel.
  3. Remove disc brake caliper from caliper adapter.
  4. Remove rotor from the axle shaft. NOTE: When measuring the brake drum diameter, the diameter should be measured in the center of the area in which the park brake shoes contact the surface of the brake drum.

1. Using Brake Shoe Gauge, Special Tool C-3919, or equivalent, accurately measure the inside diameter of the park brake drum portion of the rotor.

1. Using a ruler that reads in 64th of an inch, accurately read the measurement of the inside diameter of the park brake drum from the special tool.

1. Reduce the inside diameter measurement of the brake drum that was taken using Special Tool C-3919 by 1/64 of an inch. Reset Gauge, Brake Shoe, Special Tool C-3919 or the equivalent used, so that the outside measurement jaws are set to the reduced measurement.
  2. Place Gauge, Brake Shoe, Special Tool C-3919, or equivalent over the park brake shoes. The special tool must be located diagonally across at the top of one shoe and bottom of opposite shoe (widest point) of the park brake shoes.
  3. Using the star wheel adjuster, adjust the park brake shoes until the lining on the park brake shoes just touches the jaws on the special tool.
  4. Repeat step 8 above and measure shoes in both directions.
  5. Install brake rotor on the axle shaft.
  6. Rotate rotor to verify that the park brake shoes are not dragging on the brake drum. If park brake shoes are dragging, remove rotor and back off star wheel adjuster one notch and recheck for brake shoe drag against drum. Continue with the previous step until brake shoes are not dragging on brake drum.
  7. Install disc brake caliper on caliper adapter.
  8. Install wheel and tire.
  9. Tighten the wheel mounting nuts in the proper sequence until all nuts are torqued to half the specified torque. Then repeat the tightening sequence to the full specified torque of 129 Nm (95 ft. lbs.) .
  10. Lower vehicle. CAUTION: Before moving vehicle, pump brake pedal several times to ensure the vehicle has a firm enough pedal to stop the vehicle. NOTE: After parking brake lining replacement, it is recommended that the parking brake system be conditioned prior to use. This is done by making one stop from 25 mph on dry pavement or concrete using light to moderate force on the parking brake hand lever.
  11. Road test the vehicle to ensure proper function of the vehicle's brake system.

Dave, Jeep Master Tech
Experience: Chrysler Triple Master, ASE master Tech AA degree in Auto.