Derrick
Derrick, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.-Automotive Analysis A6-Electrical A8/L1-Engine Performance Cert., CA Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech
7680243

I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and my radiator fan

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and my radiator fan won't come on. I've replaced the fan relay, temperature sensor, thermostat, jumped the fan and it works, I've also put an extra ground on in case it wasn't grounded properly. My problem is that the fan still won't come on...what else could I do?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 8 years ago.
What is the 8th VIN digit of your Jeep?

It will either be a 'S' or an 'N'
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

S

OK... there is supposed to be a clutch fan on this engine. And another electric fan that turns on with the air conditioning.

Did you change the hydraulic clutch type cooling fan for an electric one?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Where are these located?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I have an electric fan on my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Here is a pic of the actual cooling fan:
graphic

The electric one is inside the shroud..
graphic
Here is the wiring diagram for this fan's system..
It only comes on when you turn on the AC.
graphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I still don't understand, is it a fan that i should be changing or relays??
How do you know it is not coming on, have you turned on the AC and seen it not working?

Whats wrong with your truck, is it overheating?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it's overheating, and we've stood there and watched the fan and it doesn't kick on. I've checked with the AC on and off and the fan doesn't come on
So, there is no clutch fan on the engine?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

i don't know if there is or not, I do hear sound like something is clicking on and off while the vehicle is running

Look at the top picture in my 3rd reply.. That is a picture of the clutch fan, I am asking about.

Is that fan on your engine???
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't know if that one moves at all, I've just been looking at the fan that sits behind the radiator (if you're standing infront of vehicle)
I can't make any sense out of this.

In order to you better, I am going to have to opt out and maybe another expert can help you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Derrick replied 8 years ago.

Hi there,

I will see if I can help you out.

Now you said your fan will come on if you give it direct power, so lets find where we are not getting power.

First of all, here is the wiring diagram for your radiator fan circuit:

8109845d

Lets start checking some powers and grounds.

You have replaced your fan relay, so you know where that is, and that is where we need to start.

With your engine running and A/C on, check for power at pin 4 (GY) and pin 2 (DB/PK). You should have continuity with ground at pin 1 (BK).

If you are missing your ground, you need to trace that wire back to where it is not getting grounded.

If you are missing power at pin 4, check fuse 10 and the wire between your fuse block and relay.

If you are missing power at pin 2, then you need to make sure you are getting power out of your PCM at C2 pin 17. If not, you have a bad high side driver in your PCM and your PCM will need to be replaced.

If you have all powers and grounds you have a bad cooling fan relay.

I know you said you replaced it, but they go bad all the time on these and I have seen out-of-box failures with these relays.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Derrick, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: A.S.-Automotive Analysis A6-Electrical A8/L1-Engine Performance Cert., CA Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for everyone's help. I've tried explaining things as best as I can for being a female, I do know some things about vehicles really well but other things I'm just unsure of.

I appreciate everyone's help in this situation