dually2, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE master certified,worked for the Dodge,Chrysler,Jeep line for 25 yrs

1990 jeep: timing..shakes..accelerate..little power until it revs

Customer Question

I have a 1990 jeep eagle talon with a 2.0 turbo motor that runs very poorly. I recently changed the head, and I believe I have all the timing correct. It ran just fine for about 1 month then slowly got worse and now it shakes at idle, takes very long to accelerate, has little power until it revs up high. It seems to have a constant low vacuum of 12 but steady at idle, and if I drive it a little hard the exhaust manifold turns cherry red. I adjusted the timing both ways to no avail, and the compression is even at 150. Check engine light goes on when key is turned then goes out, seems normal, and doesn't throw any codes. Is there a sensor that could make it act like this or timing or what?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  dually2 replied 8 years ago.
Hi,have you pulled the upper cover and lined everything up? Those are kind of a difficult engine to get timed rightthey also had problems with tensioners.You may only be off a couple of teeth.The reason for red hot manifold is because of raw fuel being burned in the exhaust rather the cylinder.A timing issue looks to be your cause.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
By the upper cover do you mean the plastic cover, over the timing gears?
All the stuff on the top lines up fine, and my son took everything off the front of the motor, motor mount, crank pulley etc. and he thought
that he had everything perfect, but it looks like we will have to do it all again huh? I agree that the tensioner is weird. you fill it with brake fluid and somehow it is supposed to adjust the tension on the timing belt?
Expert:  dually2 replied 8 years ago.
Ok,top gears line up fine,make sure the crank lines up,have to be very careful this engine will bend valves.The tensioner should be a closed hydraulic piston,it has to be compressed and pinned before installation.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
actually you have to line up the crank, the oil pump and balancer and also another balancer shaft run by another belt in the rear of the timing belt, plus the cam gears. But you are pretty sure its out of time by the way it sounds huh?
Expert:  dually2 replied 8 years ago.
Yes,i will send a diagram of the alighnment marks.
Expert:  dually2 replied 8 years ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So we lined up all the marks and it still runs the same. Also, the catalytic converter is punched out so the exhaust is open. Any other ideas?