Donny
Donny, Shop Foreman
Experience:  A.S.E. Certified A1-A8,L1,X1,T1,T2 Over 25 years Experience with Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep

Jeep cherokee: fuse box under dash..power windows..Power locks

Customer Question

Jeep cherokee 2000 dont have manual, have located fuse box under dash. Blower works for heat but no heat, power windows not working. Power mirrors not working, Power locks not working, everything was fine not anymore. I did replace the raditor moter and fan today it blew yesterday. JG
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Donny replied 5 years ago.

Hello

Under the hood near the battery there is a black plastic rectangular box, this is the Power Distribution Center, check fuse number 5 a 40 amp maxi fuse

In the fuse box inside the Jeep check fuse number 10 a 15 amp fuse

Did the Jeep over heat when the fan went bad, be sure and check the coolant levels and refill as needed, do this when the Jeep is cold so pressurized hot coolant will not blow out of the radiator and burn you

I hope that this helps you

If you need more help or information just let me know

Thank you

Donny

Donny, Shop Foreman
Experience: A.S.E. Certified A1-A8,L1,X1,T1,T2 Over 25 years Experience with Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will check in the morning, am dealing with a lot my dad passed away yesterday. Thank You Joe Grande I will respond
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The fuse box under the hood. I checked fuse number 5 it's a 30 amp not 40. The fuse box under the dash has three rows of fuses. Nine in each row is the bottom row number one starting on the left and counting to the right. There not numbered. JG
Expert:  Donny replied 5 years ago.

Hello

I am so sorry to hear about your loss

Is this a Cherokee or a Grand Cherokee?

The information so far was for a Cherokee (XJ)

If you have a Grand Cherokee (WJ) I will send you that information

Donny

Expert:  Donny replied 5 years ago.

Hello

If you do have a WJ and not an XJ

Start by checking the 50 amp maxi fuse in the under hood power distribution center number 12, this feeds both door modules, this is the black rectangular plastic box near the battery, if it is good then:

The most likely cause for what your are describing is that the wiring harness from the door into the body of the Jeep has failed ( wires have split and broken apart) mostly this is on the drivers front door but can also happen on the passenger side, I would look at the drivers side first since this door gets more use than the others, the thick black ground wire for the master switch (drivers door module) has most likely snapped, but be sure to inspect all the wires as others may be broken also or starting to brake and may be shorted together, give them all a slight tug and see if they separate

If you can solder the least costly way to fix this is to ( you may be able to open up the covering and work between the door and the body) , peel back the covering find the broken wires and cut back to clean non corroded sections and solder in a new longer piece of wiring, the new piece needs to be longer to allow for flex when opening and closing the doors and then reinstall the harness

You can also replace the harness but these are a lot of money

Be sure to disconnect the battery before removing or opening up the harness so nothing shorts together and does any additional damage

I hope that this helps you

If you need more information or help just let me know, make sure to give a slight tug, the insulation facing you can make the wire look good but it still may be broken, if all of this is OK let me know and we will move on to more testing

Thank you

Donny