Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep and ASE Certified Master Tech
12365498

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee: My Hood Release cable broke

Customer Question

My Hood Release cable broke on my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. How can I open my hood????
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer Jeep. First of all can you tell which end of the cable broke? If it broke at the release handle end, then you should be able to remove the kick panel (the trim around the handle) and use a pair of pliers to grasp the cable and pull on it to release the latch. If it seems to have broken at the latch end, then I will need to look at a vehicle like yours when I get to the shop tomorrow and then send you the procedure on how to release the latch. Let me know,

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>It did not break at the release handle, the cable is still attched to the handle.</p><p>So I have to assume that it broke at the latch.</p><p> </p><p>Thanks for your help!</p>
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

When I get to the shop tomorrow, I will find a jeep like your and try to get a solution to you.

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, thanks!
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Hello again. I am now at the shop and have a jeep like yours in my stall. It looks like the only way to do this is: Look through the the grille and locate the latch near the top center area. You will see 2 13 mm nuts holding the latch to the radiator support. I think you should be able to remove those 2 nuts with a 1/4 inch drive ratchet, with an extension and use a 13mm wobbly socket. Once you get the nuts off, try to pry the latch assembly forward while lifting the hood up. You should be able to get the hood up far enough to gain access to the latch and manually release it from the hood striker. Try this and let me know how it goes.

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can barely get at the left hand nut, but there is no way I can get at the one on the right.

Got any other suggestions???

Thanks,
Rolf
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
Ok, try this then. Remove the phillips screws at the bottom of the grille. Then see if you can pull the bottom of the grille out far enough so you can get your hand up to the latch nuts by reaching up behind the grille. The grille is also held on by screws on top of the grille so don't pull too hard otherwise you may crack/break the grille. Good luck, let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried that already, the grill seems to be hung up on the bumper at the bottom and even if it wasn't, I cant get it out far enough to get my hand in there.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I just looked at another one and I think this will work. Lay under the front bumper and look straight up to where you can see the bottom of the latch (right in front of the ac condenser. If you look closely you will see a small spring hooked to a small lever. Get a long skinny screwdriver or equivalent and push that lever towards the left side of the vehicle That should release the latch. It may take several tries to get it right. Let me know how that goes
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Hello again, Just checking to see if my last suggestion was any help to you. Let me know how it went. Thanks,

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not had a chance to try it yet, I will let you know in the morning.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
Sounds good. Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I looked underneath and there is no way I can see the latch.
The fan shroud and radiator block everything.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

You may be looking to far back. Look up between the front bumper and the AC condenser

Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: Jeep and ASE Certified Master Tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That worked, I popped it ope on the first try.
Thanks for you help.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

That is great news! Glad to be able to help you with this. Do me a favor and please click on the accept link, and thank you for using Just Answer Jeep!

Chris