brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

Replace the front brake pads on a 2005 jeep grand cherokee laredo?

Customer Question

how do i replace the front brake pads on a 2005 jeep grand cherokee laredo?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

I will attach instructions. If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Thanks,

JB

FRONT removal

1. Raise and support vehicle.
  2. Remove wheel and tire assembly.
  3. Drain small amount of fluid from master cylinder brake reservoir with clean suction gun.
  4. Remove the 2 caliper mounting bolts (2).
  5. Compress the caliper and remove from the adaptor (4).
  6. Secure caliper (1) to nearby suspension part with wire. Do not allow brake hose to support caliper weight.

1 - ROTOR
    2 - CALIPER ADAPTER
    3 - ANTI RATTLE CLIPS
    4 - DISC BRAKE PADS
    5 - DISC BRAKE CALIPER

7. Remove the inboard and outboard brake pads (4) from the caliper adapter (2).
  8. Remove the anti-rattle clips (3) from the brake caliper adapter (2).

FRONT install

1 - ROTOR
2 - CALIPER ADAPTER
3 - ANTI RATTLE CLIPS
4 - DISC BRAKE PADS
5 - DISC BRAKE CALIPER

1. Remove and clean all rust and debris from the anti-rattle clip mounting surfaces (3) on the brake caliper adapter (2).
  2. Install new anti-rattle clips (3) into the caliper adapter (2).
  3. Install the inboard and outboard brake pads (4) onto the caliper adapter (2).
  4. Install caliper (5) on the caliper adapter (2).

5. Install the caliper slide pin bolts (2) and tighten to 44 N·m (32 ft. lbs.).
  6. Install wheel and tire assembly.
  7. Remove support and lower vehicle.
  8. Pump brake pedal until caliper pistons and brake pads are seated and a firm brake pedal is obtained.
  9. Fill brake fluid.

brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there another way to safely drain the brake fluid without a "clean suction gun"?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

Yes. You can just remove some with a paper towel if needed. If the reservoir is not full you may not need to remove any. When compressing the caliper it pushes the fluid back into the master cylinder so if it is a little low you will be ok.

If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we done.

Thanks,

JB

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is this procedure the same for the rear brakes?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

It is very similar.....

REAR DISC BRAKE PADS

REMOVAL

1. Raise and support vehicle.
  2. Remove rear wheel and tire assembly.
  3. Drain small amount of fluid from master cylinder brake reservoir with a clean suction gun.

1. Bottom caliper pistons into the caliper by prying the caliper over.
  2. Remove the caliper slide pins (4).

1. Remove caliper (1) from the anchor.
  2. Secure caliper (1) to nearby suspension part with wire. Do not allow brake hose to support caliper weight.
  3. Remove the inboard & outboard brake pads from the caliper.

INSTALLATION

1. Install the inboard & outboard brake pads onto the caliper.
  2. Lubricate the slide pins and slide pin bushings with caliper slide grease or the grease provided with the brake pads.
  3. Install caliper (1) on the anchor.

1. Install the caliper slide pin bolts (4) and tighten to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) .
  2. Install wheel and tire assembly.
  3. Remove support and lower vehicle.
  4. Pump brake pedal until caliper piston and brake pads are seated and a firm brake pedal is obtained.
  5. Fill brake fluid level if necessary.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can still feel a shudder in the brake pedal, should I also replace the front rotors? If so, are there any special tools or instructions that I'll need?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
You will have to either replace the rotors or have them machined on a lathe (if they have enough material). If you did the pads it is almost the same as doing the pads there are just two bolts that hold on the caliper bracket. After the caliper bracket is removed the rotor will come off. It may be a little rusty and have to tap the center of the rotor to free it up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You said, "After the caliper bracket is removed the rotor will come off."

However, It looks like the large lug in the center of the rotor is holding it on. Could that be possible? I've soaked this rotor with penetrating foam cleaner and wrestled with it for hours. Am I missing something?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
No the nut does not need to be removed. You will need to hit it with a hammer towards the center to free it up.