dually2
dually2, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE master certified,worked for the Dodge,Chrysler,Jeep line for 25 yrs
5853475

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo: brake light..tail lights..the bulbs

Customer Question

1. My wife has a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with left rear brake light out.   The tail lights are working, but when she steps on the brakes, the left taillight goes dark. I bought all of the bulbs and will check them and replace dead ones. should that solve the problem 2. Her car also has the windshield washer not working, while the rear washer works fine. I hear a pump when she tries the windshield washer and sometimes a trickle of washer fluid comes. I bought tubing to replace if that will solve the problem, but need to be sure how to do it. 3. I also own a 1996 jeep of the same model. The power outlet keeps blowing fuses when I use that socket for things that give no problem in the cigarette lighter. What do I do? 4. the 1996 Jeep has a warning anouncement on the console saying the rear lights are not working. I replaced the only defective bulb and it went out for a while, but now is on again. Ideas?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  dually2 replied 6 years ago.
Welcome, the 99 probably has a defective tail lite module, rear tail lite.2 the washer bottle is in the left front fender well. The lines run from there to the cowl,you will have to remove the cowl to access the lines near the wipers.3 possibly too much load on the system or the socket is worn out and shorting.4 Rear lights inop,brake lites or running lites?
dually2, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE master certified,worked for the Dodge,Chrysler,Jeep line for 25 yrs
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
None of the rear lites on the 96 are inoperative. I've had someone from an auto supply shop stand there and verify all is ok. re question #1, the defective lite module, does it require replacement of the bulb sockets or the bulb? regarding ? #2 do you think I need to replace the hose? or the nozzle? Could it be just need a pressure hose on it to blow out an obstruction. If so, is there an adapter to the air pressure hoses at a gas station available for sale somewhere? Regarding # XXXXX the load is not too high, becausee it works in the cigarette lighter socket without blowing fuses. What do I have to do if it shorting? If I have to remove the socket, is it esy to get to?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
accepted the answer, but am still waiting for clarification based on the further information I p[rovided at 1:56 pm.
Expert:  dually2 replied 6 years ago.
Sorry about that, The 96 brake or running lights. Turn key on then turn in head lamps, check to see if the small marker lites in the tail lamps are illuminated. If it only reminds you bulbs are out when brake lites are lit up, they are very sesitive to the third brake lite, you have to replace all the bulbs due to resistance, thats what sets it off.The socket problem, it is possible the socket is shorting. not to easy to get too.99 the tail lamp assembly has to be replaced as a unit. They have internal shorting problems.To verify you can swap rear tail lite from r 2 l and check that way.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What about the other questions? see above specifically trouble shooting the windshield washer.

Waht do you mean by that last statement about the taillight swap ; and what is r 21? Thanks.

Expert:  dually2 replied 6 years ago.

T be sure the tail lamp assembly is the problem you can swap from either side to verify. If you can adapt to the hose you can buy a nozzle from a parts house. Remove left front tire, remove clip from inner fender liner to access the washer pump and hose. Then you can blow the line from there.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks. I already accepted your answer. I do not want to be charged twice by accepting the clarificatons of the answer. I am not sure that is what would happen. I hope that does not hurt your acceptance rate.
Expert:  dually2 replied 6 years ago.

I hope that helped. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes thank you. Hearing about the need to remove the tire to access the hose tells me that I'll probably take it to a service station. I can still trouble shoot the brake light though.
Expert:  dually2 replied 6 years ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks again. XXXXX decide I want to get the power outlet working again, is i a real hassle to replace the socket? I'm not sure i need it.
Expert:  dually2 replied 6 years ago.

Partial dash removal.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it enough to remove the plastic segment near the center console just above the power outlet or is there more, and if more, is there a place to read about the access without buying a book?
Expert:  dually2 replied 6 years ago.
Give me a few and i will try to find instructions for ya, hang tight.
Expert:  dually2 replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks. this is very helpful.
Expert:  dually2 replied 6 years ago.
No problem glad i could help!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This is a followup on a question I discussed with dually2 yesterday. I traced the hose for the windshield wiper for my wife's car, and did not need to remove the left front wheel to get to it. The hose is clear as far as the left side of the car near the hinge for the hood. i think it has come loose under the cover plate near the nozzles, and I need help with advice on the steps to remove the cover plate. Do I need to remove the wiper arms to get to it or just the screws on top? Do you have a picture that will help?

I do not know if this is considered a new question that requires separate payment or not. Thanks for your help so far. Just so you know, my wife's brakelight worked after disassembly and reassembly and all of the the bulbs were good. There must have been a loose contact on one of the bulbs or wires. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Johnson

Expert:  dually2 replied 6 years ago.
Cool, ye you have to remove the wiper arms. I will send you instructions. Hang tight.
Expert:  dually2 replied 6 years ago.
COWL COVER
REMOVAL
Remove wiper arms.
Remove plenum seal.
Remove plastic push nuts attaching cowl cover to cowl Cowl Cover
Remove windshield washer tubes at connector.
Remove cowl cover from cowl
INSTALLATION
Position cowl cover on cowl.
Install windshield washer tubes at connector.
Install plastic push nuts attaching cowl cover to cowl.
Install plenum seal.
Install windshield wiper arms.
If you need more, let me know, same question. no payment required
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am confused by this part of what you said: "Remove plenum seal.
Remove plastic push nuts attaching cowl cover to cowl Cowl Cover" I do not know the term plenum in this context. does the seal need any sealant? Is it obvious how to position the wiper arms when replacing them? I'm sorry to be so full of questions, but I have trouble picturing it.
Expert:  dually2 replied 6 years ago.
The plenum seal is a rubber seal that seals the hood to the body,just pulls off.Its towars the engine at the end of the cowl. let me see if i can send a better pic.
Expert:  dually2 replied 6 years ago.
WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR, PIVOT AND LINKAGE MODULE
REMOVAL
Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
Remove the wiper arms from the wiper pivots. Refer to Wiper Arm in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
Open the hood and pull the hood to plenum seal off of the forward flanges of the cowl grille cover and the plenum panel.
Remove the six plastic nuts (2 short and 4 long) that secure the cowl grille cover to the studs on the cowl top panel near the base of the windshield Cowl Grille Cover Remove/Install
Lift the left end of the cowl grille cover off of the cowl plenum panel far enough to access the windshield washer plumbing.
Disconnect the windshield washer supply hose at the in-line connector.
Remove the cowl grille cover from the cowl plenum and cowl top panels through the opening between the hood and the windshield.
Remove the four screws that secure the wiper motor, pivot and linkage module to the cowl plenum panel Wiper Motor, Pivot and Linkage Module Remove/Install
Lift the left end of the wiper motor, pivot and linkage module far enough to access the wiper motor wire harness connector.
Disconnect the left headlamp and dash wire harness connector from the wiper motor connector receptacle.
Remove the wiper motor, pivot and linkage module from the cowl plenum.
INSTALLATION
Position the wiper motor, pivot and linkage module into the cowl plenum.
Reconnect the left headlamp and dash wire harness connector to the wiper motor connector receptacle.
Loosely install one of the wiper motor, pivot and linkage module mounting screws to the mounting hole near the pivot on the right end of the module to locate the module in the plenum.
Working from left to right, install and tighten the four screws that secure the wiper motor, pivot and linkage module to the cowl plenum panel. Tighten the screws to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.)
Position the cowl grille cover onto the cowl plenum and cowl top panels through the opening between the hood and the windshield.
Reconnect the windshield washer supply hose at the in-line connector.
Install the six plastic nuts that secure the cowl grille cover to the studs on the cowl top panel near the base of the windshield. These nuts are to be installed by pushing them onto the studs in the following sequence:
First, install the short nuts to the third stud from the right, then the second stud from the left.
Next, install long nuts to the right outboard stud, then the left outboard stud.
Finally, install the two remaining long nuts to the third stud from the left, then the second stud from the right.
Starting at the ends and working toward the center, push the hood to plenum seal onto the forward flanges of the cowl grille cover and the plenum panel.
Install the wiper arms onto the wiper pivots. Refer to Wiper Arm in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
Reconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
Expert:  dually2 replied 6 years ago.
Not getting a good pic, remove wiper arms,plastic cap at the wiper arm pivot,pop off, 13mm nut take off,remove arm, 5 t25 torx screws then cowl comes off exposing the wiper system. you be able to see the washer hose which is connected to the cowl. so slowly pull the cowl up. Not too bad. Let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That sounds doable for me. I'll wait for the weekend so I have daylight and time. Thanks again. Will how to position the wiper arms be obvious when replacing them?
Expert:  dually2 replied 6 years ago.
Try to mark the blade position with a black permanent marker
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  dually2 replied 6 years ago.
Need more help,let me know!!!