brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

the lift gate on my 2005 jeep liberty will not latch

Lets start with the easy things to check then move on to the harder ones. First take a screw driver or like object and put it in the latch hold the handle open like your trying to open it when it is closed. While holding the handle open try to open the latch with the screw driver. Some times it will close and it need to be in the open position in order to grab the striker.

Let me know if this helps and the results.

Thanks,

JB

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Even when it is in the open position when you push down the lift gate the striker will not engage. The striker works but it won't grab the holder on the tailgate.

Try adjusting either the latch or the striker. They may have moved too far and no longer are close enough when the gate is closed for the latch to meet the striker. If you still need help just reply.

Thanks,

JB